Discuss Sir Ramics school of tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Now here is an idea.
For £1500 -£2000 the newbie gives me the money and for the next 5 weeks I take him/her with me to work...He/she learns.

How to get up in the morning by waiting at the roadside at the required time....usually 7am -7.30am. If he/she isnt there then tough, I go with out him/her...No refund.
He/she learns every job is a different job.
He/she learns Clients, Other trades, site agents can be a PITA
He/she learns when you get to the job , other trades may already be there and you have to jostle for space.
He/she learns that the tiles and other materials that are on the van need to be brought into the area and stacked neatly and that the customers home is to be respected by laying dust sheets in the areas of work.
He/she learns to find power sockets and water supply.
He/she learns that every job is set out individually and to use their eyes for focal points.
He/she learns that preparation is the key to a good job.
He/she learns how to measure areas and allow for tile wastage.
He/she learns about substrates and weight limits for tiling.
He/she learns that standing around with hands in pockets will not teach them anything.
He/she learns how to use a level and laser level.
He/she learns that setting out before fixing the first tile is the way forward. Setting out using a staff with tile and spacer markings will be taught. Until He/she knows where every cut in the room will be and its size no tile fixing will take place.
He/she learns to keep the work area clean.
He/she learns how to mix and apply primer without making a mess.
He/she learns when to wet cut and when to dry cut.
He/she learns which adhesive to use and how to mix it.
He/she learns about trowel sizes.
He/she learns about spacers, wedges and how to install.
He/she learns how to watch and always ask questions if in doubt.
He/she learns about tanking, insulation and ufh.
He/she learns about self levelling and how to read instructions ...And follow them !
He/she learns how to clean the tiling as they work.
He/she learns how to read my mind for what I may need next as so far they are only labouring.
He/she learns that speed is not the point.
He/she learns how to mark tiles and what pencil/wax pencil or felt tip is best and what is not !
He/she learns how to use the Sigma cutters ( as there will be no going back once mastered !)
He/she learns how to mark holes and drill holes with core drills.
He/she learns how to cut out for sockets.
He/she learns about expansion joints and why we have them.
He/she learns my tools are my tools and they will replace them and keep them as clean as they were.
He/she learns that there is not a set knocking off time, you work either to completion or to a good stopping point.
He/she learns that after the 1st day tiling isnt as easy as the books/tv tell you

He/she learns that tomorrow is a whole new ball game.
He/she learns while sitting at home after the first week that Tiles are heavy, Adhesive is dusty as is grout...then its messy on your hands. Adhesive becomes part of your hands and seems impossible to move ( dont worry it will move when you are grouting the next day). They learn about pin hole wear throughs on the ends of their fingers and how rough their hands are. They now know why I said wear gloves ! They will find themselves occasionally rubbing their knees and that's why I said wear kneepads.

He/she learns that just when they think they know it all , we start all over on a new job.

He/she learns that this is the real world of tiling and not a mock set up. At least then they can be prepared!

C

charlie1

Tiling certainly ain't rocket science but i think you have to be good with your hands as a prerequisite! Some people are more academically gifted and some are just rubbish with there hands. I thought about this recently about passing on what i know to someone, i would pick that person very wisely though! I have a person in mind, the guy in question is quite down on his life and drifts from dead end job to another dead end job, he is very shy too. I think however that he could be a good tiler though and he is a good person... Who knows, maybe i will test the water with him!

S

Spud

Tiling certainly ain't rocket science but i think you have to be good with your hands as a prerequisite! Some people are more academically gifted and some are just rubbish with there hands. I thought about this recently about passing on what i know to someone, i would pick that person very wisely though! I have a person in mind, the guy in question is quite down on his life and drifts from dead end job to another dead end job, he is very shy too. I think however that he could be a good tiler though and he is a good person... Who knows, maybe i will test the water with him!
how are you going to bring him out of his shell ?

no tiling is not rocket science ,but neither is it just about sticking tiles on in mrs jones,s bathroom or putting a few tiles in between peoples kitchen units,you make it sound so simple but what about the big jobs where a lot of folk wouldnt know where to start, i served a six year apprenticeship for my trade,its not just about being good with your hands im sorry:rant:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

no tiling is not rocket science ,but neither is it just about sticking tiles on in mrs jones,s bathroom or putting a few tiles in between peoples kitchen units,you make it sound so simple but what about the big jobs where a lot of folk wouldnt know where to start, i served a six year apprenticeship for my trade,its not just about being good with your hands im sorry:rant:

I can see where Mark ( Charlie 1) is coming from and some aspects of tiling are not rocket science, but some are incredibly complex. The first time Brian the tile and I met was 40yrs ago on an Olympic swimming pool, Brian was an apprentice, I was a wet behind the ears new time served tradesman. We only found this out through this forum, as Brian had no recollection of me nor me of him.

But I'm sure we have both experienced every aspect of tiling, screeding, rendering, acid resistant, power vibro, geometric work, twin tiles using floated coat method, ( this was used on the pool that Brian and I met) so to have 40 plus years of doing every type of tiling in any environment all over the world. And to be able to do industrial, commercial, or domestic to a top standard with speed and quality, that comes pretty close to rocket science in my book.:thumbsup:

D

Dale44

you know what Neale you are on to a good idea there ,seriously . you could contact some of the training centres and offer onsite experience for their graduates and charge them a fee , there would be a percentage of trainees who would pay for the experience of working with a bonafide experienced tiler for a week

Most people who go through a training course, be it Tiling, plastering, plumbing etc. etc. Would cut off their left arm if given the chance to gain experience with a time served tradesman. Me included.
Don't know how they would carry tiles with just one arm though.:wave:

C

charlie1

Most people who go through a training course, be it Tiling, plastering, plumbing etc. etc. Would cut off their left arm if given the chance to gain experience with a time served tradesman. Me included.
Don't know how they would carry tiles with just one arm though.:wave:

hi dale, I'm glad you value the experience so highly, IMO, that is exactly the right attitude required to give you a chance at success in this trade and you are right in valuing the experience so highly, If you have the desire to find out about anything then kindly ask the right questions to the right people and you will get the right answer, that's how I got better, along with a lot of stress and my own experience.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Sir Ramics school of tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB