Discuss Slate floor - is this as good as you should expect? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cfrclose

We have just had a slate floor laid. Tiler was pleased with the tiles, looked great, then it was sealed. The main problem is that there are long brushstrokes visible across tiles in a number of areas. Its also patchy in places and there are grey areas where the slate doesn't look clean - where the slate is particular grainy. Tiler has been back with turps and resealed parts - no real impact. Photos attached. Sealant was SealGuard liquid.

I was expecting variations. But should I expect visible lines and brushstrokes?

I'm assuming nothing can be done about the grainy areas?

Many thanks for your views

c

Attachments

• PB300724.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 83
  • PB300725.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 77
  • PB300728.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 77
T

Time's Ran Out

I don't agree with the well tiled part of the replies!
What's the point of leaving the finished job like that - it people don't know how to treat a product why do they ruin it for those who can produce the goods.
Terracotta used to be a fantastic material to work with and look after many years ago and then 'tilers' and builders decimated the market by completely ruining the installation proceedures.
The OP wants to get the fixer back and get the issue sorted.

D

DHTiling

Thanks everyone. THe quality of the tiling is really good. We're told it was sealed before grouting. He's been back once, used turps(?) and then what sealant was left. My other half has been persuaded that the finish is what you can expect for slate being so porous but I'm not so sure. What would you use to strip it right back?

He might have sealed before grouting but if the sealer had not gained it's protection strength ( grouted to early after sealer application ), then it would not help with grout pitting etc..

I agree with others, call your installer back and discuss a remedy .

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Slate floor - is this as good as you should expect? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone! Just want to say first of all that I am not a tiler or anything I’m just in need...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB