UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss slate floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Hi Tony and welcome to TF.
you need to grade the tiles and start by laying the thickest ones first and slowly increase the bed of adhesive as the tiles get thinner to keep the floor running level. Personally i don't use spacers and do it by eye as it allows for easier adjustment if there is any difference in tile size. As Jay says have you laid any natural stone before? Do you know about back buttering the tiles and sealing them?

R

Rich

The joint width will depend on how calibrated the tiles are, if there is a lot of variation in the size then go for a wider joint. As has been said, use the thickest pieces in the high traffic areas and make sure you clean them of properly before sealing. Something like LTP Grimex is good for this. How many coats of sealer will depend on the slate but you want to seal them as much as possible IMO.

B

bugs183

Blooming B@Q :(
Make sure Tony that the customer is aware that because the slate has not got a machined back that:
A. It make take a little longer to fix,
B. They will more than likely be a bit more twisted than normal,
C. That you will have to use more adhesive to overcome the difference in thickness.
Just in case you were thinking of buying, I wouldn't recommend you by a 'pourable thick bed stone adhesive', due to the fact that it is a pourable adhesive means you won't be able to build up the adhesive under the tiles as it will sink.
If you do feel slightly worried about the job use a standard set adhesive (24 hour) as this will give you more time to use the adhesive without it setting in the bucket.
As for grout space, lay a few out to show the customer, i'd for for minimum of 4mm grout joint, but you can show them a wider joint. It will be a bit more of a trap for dirt etc, but it will make the fixing easier in case the tiles are not uniform across their width, and it will make the tiles appear slightly flatter!
Lay, clean if any adhesive residue, seal grout, seal, maybe add a finishing wax.
Enjoy!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
your going to have fun, i did a small poarch about a month ago with b & q slate, and its the worst slate ive ever seen, they vary from 20mm to 2mm and every box will have one or more broken tiles...

006.jpg

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to slate floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.