Discuss slate patio question. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnryan

hoping someone here can help me out with a question of using calibrated slate on an outside patio. i haven't really done any outside work since being in england, so presumed slate would be fine to use for a patio, layed on a 6" concrete slab, and 2" screed with chicken wire, either bedded into the screed itself or with keraquick. grouted with mapei ultracolour plus, and a couple of coats of ltp mattstone.
however, when i went to get the slate today, i was told by the salesman that it was a very bad idea to put slate outside. there was a dispute between another salesman there, who i know very well, who thought it'd be ok to use. the client was with me and while she still wants the slate, she is now unsure of whether to go ahead with it. i personally am of the view that it would be ok, but would appreciate advice from you guys. i spent a lot of time in hotter climates, where issues of this nature don't really exist, and since being home, have only worked on one exterior installation ( 9yrs ago, and still all good). i wont bother going into the reasons the guy said it's a bad idea, as whatever i'm advised here will be the way to go forward. also, if slate isn't a good idea, then does anyone have any suggestions of what is ok to use outside that's not porcelaine? by the way, it is outside but sheltered on 3 sides with the unsheltered side being south facing. cheers.

john

Reply to slate patio question. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am new to here & stumbled across this site in my pursuit of finding the best solution for...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
slate patio question.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.