Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Slate stuck or not, help.........??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mmmadman

Hi all, this is my 1st post on this great site.

I started laying an 18m sq slate patio on my existing 600 x 600 concrete slabbed patio which has been down for years. I am using 300 x 300 x 10 natural slate from Wickes and I am creating a pattern with diamonds and small squares. Joint size is approx 10mm.

The Problem
Day 1, I laid three rows using a bed of approx 10mm sand and cement 5-1 wet mix (recommended by a builder mate)

Day 2 I started the pattern and laid about a third of the total area, using the same mix.

On day 3 I went outside and it was raining a bit and I noticed that some of the tiles that I had laid on day 1 moved when I stepped on them and I was able to lift them by hand too. The tiles that I laid on day 2 seemd ok but I did not lift any.

Now one week later all of the area I did last week seems firmly bonded except the ones that I actually lifted that were laid on day 1.

Were the tiles still curing and is it ok to leave them now or do I have to take it all up and use a prority adhesive? what happend?

I intend to seal and then grout with the correct grout not mortar.

I hope I hav explained the problem ok, many thanks............

M

mmmadman

did you slurry the backs of the tiles ? if you didnt then they will come up clean as whistles ,mix a neat cement slurry, when fixing and paint the slurry on the back of the slate before bedding the tiles in ,then you wont have any further problems

I'm a bit lost here, what is a slurry, is it just water and cement and if so how thick a consistancey should it be/

Also nobody has mentioned whether I should start again or leave the slate that seems to of stuck?

I just used Wickes building sand (rich Red colour) and blue circle cement.

Many thanks...................

M

mmmadman

Many thanks for the replies so far..............

Having had a closer look at the weekend I have decided to start again.
The slates came up really easily so non of them were stuck properly, non broke out of a 6m sq area the mortar had just really stuck to the concrete slabs.

I managed to get the motor up with a spade and some hard graft and swearing.

I have bought some BAL adhesive and layed a few last night, it seems a great product and easy to work with and the slate tiles really grabbed so hopefully it will be ok this time......!!!!

Cheers.................

Reply to Slate stuck or not, help.........??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, hoping someone can help with advice. We purchased 600 x 600 tiles for our bathroom floor...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Slate stuck or not, help.........???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.