Guest viewing is limited

Discuss slate tiles + concrete patio in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DrayTek

Hi there, in need of a bit of advise. I've recently tiled a bathroom for a builder, happy with my work hes asked me to tile his patio with slate. I've neither used slate before nor tiled outside so a few questions
1/ Do i need to seal the concrete ( concrete is clean and appears to be fully cured )
2/ I intend to use sand/cement ( mainly in order to minimise my costs if i under estimate ). What mix should i use ? 3:1 ?
3/ Do i need to use an additive in the mortar ? i.e to provide frost protection.
4/ Do i use a solid bed ? if so how thick should i be laying the mortar?
5/ Theres an expansion joint in the concrete , do i lay an expansion joint on top of this one for the tiling ?
6/ Is the slate sealed before or after laying for grouting ? and if after will any mortar i get on the slate wash off ok as i go ?
Many thanks
Ed.

Reply to slate tiles + concrete patio in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We had an outdoor limestone patio laid at the start of June (finished circa 07/06/24)...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
slate tiles + concrete patio
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.