UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Slate tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andy-D

I have a client who wants me to lay 300 x 300 slate tiles onto an old sandstone floor.He wants me to butt the tiles together ie no grout lines.Can anyone foresee any problems by doing this
Mike

As slate is a natural stone it is very unlikely that each tile will be exactly the same size and thus it will be difficult to have small grout lines, let alone none at all! So dont go there !

I have seen ceramic floor tiles vary in size by a fraction of a mm, which is enough to ruin your lines over a few meters.

Andy

M

MIKETILER

Thanks for your replies
I too have told the customer the pitfalls of doing this ie the variations of tile sizes and the work involved,but he insists that is what he wants.But what do you do,turn the job away and let someone else do it. Sometimes I find that what customers want goes completely against what you know is the right way to do things.All you can do is recommend.Its up to them after that.
Mike

C

Concept PHT

All the advice given here is bang on, and I have had the same problems with slate. You do need a grout line to hide the slight variations in the calibration.

Me, I would hand your quote in with your recommendations on it, then leave it at that.

If he calls you, then he does. But if he don't, you can have the satisfaction of knowing that a poorly trained tiler is struggling there ******** off to get the job right after realising it cant be done.

:)

L

Leatherface

Also - don't try & use spaces - do it by eye.
If you find some of the slates have a bit of lipping on the edges after laying, you can very carefully chip these off with a hammer and chisel - state is composed of many layers. In my opinion no need to seal prior to setting. Wash with 2 or 3 changes of water then allow to dry thoroughly before sealing. Advise at least 2 coats of sealer with at least 6 hours inbetween coats. Then 24 hours before grout. Use a washboy and also a normal sponge and wipe any ridges on the tiles carefully - the grout tends to stick there although you cannot see it until dry.
Try lithofin or LTP sealers -they are very good
I will post a pic of one of my recent jobs in the gallery

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Slate tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.