UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

slc

Discuss slc in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dotto

Hi guys i am new to this forum. I am redoing my bathroom. The subfloor is concrete all over and only the last bit going towards the external wall has a lower step ( 1.5 square meter and 25mm deep). At the moment there is a sheet of 25mm plywood screwd down in the 1.5 square meter lower step to make up the height so that the the floor is even all over, however as i want to get rid of the vynil and lay ceramic tiles, i want to rid of the plywood and use Ardex k15hb as slc to fill up the lower step. My question is: as the lower step is slightly damp probably due to rising damp or damp entering from the outside wall ( old house 1910 solid brick), do i have to use a liquid dpm before pouring the slc or can i get away with it? Also, will i have to use an acrylic primer over the new concrete as well as on the old one before tiling or again can i get away with it? I will use Mapei Keraflex maxi as an adhesive, not so much for its flexible properties but for its long open time as i do plumbing but have never tiled before. Thank you very much for your time.

D

dotto

Does Kerafex maxi Mapei like a bit of damp if present? I have been told that since cement adhesives contain cement and cement has low permeability properties it is ok to tile provided the subfloor is not completely submerged in water. I have spoken to a tiler and he has told me that i could go the liquid dpm however he found it a bit o.t.t. I would love to have other comments from people on this forum who have already come across this problem. Also would you use liquid dpm underneath the slc or brush it over the slc?Thanks again.

M

Mike Mike

Does Kerafex maxi Mapei like a bit of damp if present? I have been told that since cement adhesives contain cement and cement has low permeability properties it is ok to tile provided the subfloor is not completely submerged in water. I have spoken to a tiler and he has told me that i could go the liquid dpm however he found it a bit o.t.t. I would love to have other comments from people on this forum who have already come across this problem. Also would you use liquid dpm underneath the slc or brush it over the slc?Thanks again.

Dotto,

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:5A1SmlG7I2YJ:www.ardex.co.uk/pdfs/ARDEX%2520K15HB.pdf+ardex+k15+hb+technical+sheet&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShWycUTS1onJpsJp1b3nNfIY3hc7W_3exegkMBFY2IZ3md4rPyRx4W-vcCShypeQJIVAPBwKPFZIOur0a6OwW-4jZyKDL6RsSar80igOeH-pMDiwyWVaknay-WF6x3d1Vlul7lu&sig=AHIEtbRcNeVig8QjX1sjN-Bofosh6j8N2w

Technical sheet for the SLC you are proposing clearly states that direct to earth substrates must have an effective DPM. I don't know how bad the damp problem is there, if you have a damp meter take a reading and then call the Ardex Technical Dept and discuss it with them to see which Ardex DPM you need if in fact any of them are suitable given site conditions.

Cover yourself and do it by the book. You don't want problems arising in 12 months. The advice that other tiler gave you, in my opinion, it wasn't very professional. SLC is not stable when exposed to damp that cannot dry out. The aggregates in it are so fine that it has very poor characteristics when exposed to water over prolonged periods. And while the tile adhesive won't suffer if it gets damp, the tiles themselves may discolour if damp is coming up from underneath, especially if they are porous natural stone, or ceramic (the biscuit on the back of the tile is porous). Porcelain might be okay, but the SLC definitely will not be okay, so don't take any risks.

I would also recommend painting that DPM up the wall too because if you're right and damp's coming in through the solid wall then you don't want it entering the SLC from the side or it will cause all the same problems as if you didn't bother with the DPM on the floor...

Best of luck with it, and don't be afraid to ask questions, especially to the Technical Depts of the materials manufacturers.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to slc in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.