Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Slippery porcelain floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wysiwyg

I have laid 2 metre square of porcelain tiles to the bathroom floor. I havn't yet removed the transit wax (so perhaps this is the problem) but the floor is lethal to walk on. I can see my 3 y.o. going for a burton in no time :/

A google search brought up various translucent spray finishes which provide an anti-slip finish, but does anyone here have experience of using them? They mainly appear to be aimed for commercial environments. Do they ruin the look of the surface, or do they simply make them matt in appearance. Alternatively, could I use a fine grit paper to take the shine off the porcelain to provide grip?

Cheers.

W

wysiwyg

spoken to ctd - it does actually cause the surface to permanently pit (by the sounds of it), rather than apply a film over the top. I'm sure the former will work better otherwise I can imagine a build up of dirt with an applied film. The product is by hg hageson, so now ordering online with another company which provides the same product but half cost of ctd. thanks again. i'll let you know how i get on. will practice on off-cuts first!

W

wysiwyg

Unfortunately this didn't work. I cleaned the tiles to remove the transit wax, using an apparently appropriate porcelain tile cleaner, then diluted the non-slip solution 1:1 to water and left on for the recommended time (7-10 minutes). I went through the process twice and it still hasn't made any difference. Does anyone have an idea where I might be going wrong? I also tried leaving the tile cleaner on for longer to work itself into the wax, but it isn't having any of it. Any help/advice appreciated. thanks.

D

Daz

No I didn't seal them between using the wax remover and the non-slip chemical. I thought sealing them would prevent the chemical doing its job. Should I have done so? There is a very slight spotting (similar to water marks) which hasn't changed the colour of the tile, thankfully.

thanks in advance for your help.

Any chance of a picture of this, please?
I'm pretty sure that the anti-slip coating should sit on top of the tile and not penetrate the surface, so that may be why it doesn't appear to have worked.

You may want to contact the Hageson customer services team to discuss what they recommend?

Daz

Reply to Slippery porcelain floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Need some help please with calculating levels and the build up of the floor to support tiling...
Replies
Views
First of all, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times so apologies in advance! A...
Replies
Views
Hey guys Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice re a floor tiling job I have coming...
Replies
Views
D
Hey guys. Need some advice on threshold trim. I'm laying porcelain tiles in a kitchen and also...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
A
I have underfloor heating and a concrete floor. I cleaned the floor then PVAd it. I followed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Slippery porcelain floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks