UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Small outside step in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Going to be tiling small outside step (about 3m2 with 1 riser) anyway, it seems the current tiles have debonded from the concrete block due to water ingress and then frost has penitrated the concrete block, this has also started to clumble so i will need to reform it! Whats your methods of doing this? In the past I have used cement adhesive but I think this one will require some shuttering. I may also need to build a fall in the step to allow the water to run! For this I was thinking of using sand / cement and feather it off a timber runner at high end, prob about 10mm? for the 1.5m span?

D

DHTiling

Why would you advise they wait so long? Obviously setting times can be more of an issue but that can factored in to price

Well , this time of year we have low temps and adhesive takes more than a few days to gain full structural strength.

So I advise my customers to wait till I can guarantee their job will stay put.

If you are confident that your job will survive , then bang em on.

Just saying how I do things , that is all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dougs Third Go

Ive done many steps - mostly at this time of year, Tiles all seemed to me to be set solid and never had any call backs regarding tile failure! I am aware adhesive is taking ages to set properly just now but it gets there in the end, just a question of time. Its not the most plesant work at this time of year but we all have bills to pay
"set" and "cure" are two completely different things charlie, yes we do have bills to pay I agree, but i wouldn't take the chance of having to do the job twice with twice the outlay,,just my tuppence worth.

D

DHTiling

Ive done many steps - mostly at this time of year, Tiles all seemed to me to be set solid and never had any call backs regarding tile failure! I am aware adhesive is taking ages to set properly just now but it gets there in the end, just a question of time. Its not the most plesant work at this time of year but we all have bills to pay

Hey! if it works for you then god bless... but i have worked a lot of years to be able to do a job and then walk away with my head held high knowing it will stay put... all it takes is a frost a couple days later and bingo with have pop corn tiles.

A

Alan M

im not sure if this is relivent or not but a friend of mine had an area at the back of his house tiled about 4 or 5 years ago. it was a frost time of the year and the tiler put down a heated blanket with a stat and covered it in 8x4 sheets of poli iso insulation. and covered that in plastic to keep out the wet. he left that there for a week or so only exposing it twice a day to vent any moisture inside the plastic.
i dont know if it hepled or not but the tiles are still perfect

Why not bed the tiles with sand & cement have done loads of steps even thru the winter months never had a problem you can even use a small amount of rapid cement in the bed when finished fixing just cover with cardboard,this week I will be doing a 16m2 balcony with sand & cement and I know I wont have to worry about it being to cold,what do bricklayers do I dont think they shut up for the winter.as long as its covered no problems

Last edited:
C

charlie1

Dave / Doug... I take your points!

Kilty, I will have a look at your pics

Thanks for the idea Alanm, I do have a small fan heater in the van that I could use.

Afright, I was beginning to wonder what tilers do in the winter there untill you replied! Ive never worked with sand and cement before although i was talking to TF ED about the methods of dot plumbing / levelling! You see, Im not one of the old school fixers on here, only really used cement adhesives. I would like to learn this way though, i will be on youtube this evening!....at least i know i will have a job 12 months of the year ;-)

S&C fixing is a great way to do falls , needs to be screeded and not dotted though. Screed down , sieve on neat cement , trowel lightly with a plasters trowel to bring up moisture this creates a good glue , lay on the tiles ( tap in slighly individually for intial contact ) , lightly brush on dry S&C mix , 16" beating blocks ( with rounded end ) to bed them in , wash off , let dry then grout.

Ah the good old days.

Diggy :0)

S

steve187

in the old days! we used semi dry sharp sand and cement screed, then a cement slurry on top, laid the quarries and then beat with a lump of 4x2, washed off and then sand cement grout a few days later. If a wet screed was used, then exactly as diggy posted above.

I would be with most of the previous posters and leave until the spring, i have just put off a 15 metre outside area due to frosts

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Small outside step in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I had my bathroom tiled about 5 months ago and yesterday I noticed cracking in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a small roughly 1 metre square porch area that we would like to put tile down on and...
Replies
Views
W
hi, cards on the table, I'm fairly new to tiling and just trying to feel my way with small jobs...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.