Discuss Soft Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wendywoop

I can actually rub away the grout on my recently laid travertine floor with a cloth!! Surely this isnt right? It was laid a couple of months ago and the grout is looking very grubby even though it was sealed with 4 coats of sealant. It seems like the tiler has put two coats of grout on. The first being whiter looking and very smooth and the second grainy. With a bit of rubbing the second layer will come off. I can actually scratch it away with my fingernails. This doesnt seem right to me. Before I complain to my builder I would like to arm myself with a little knowledge please.

W

wendywoop

Welcome to the forum wendywoop. Do you know what brand of grout was used and also, do you know why the tiler/builder did the grouting in two stages and with two different products?

Thanks for replying Brian. The grout was called Stonefix wide joint flexible grout I think. If I can remember he did the grout in 2 stages because he said the grout 'settles and sinks'. I'm not sure why he used two different products.

I

Ian

Thanks for replying Brian. The grout was called Stonefix wide joint flexible grout I think. If I can remember he did the grout in 2 stages because he said the grout 'settles and sinks'. I'm not sure why he used two different products.

Some grouts do shrink a little when they are drying out but it sounds like the grout joints weren't full enough the first time round. If I ever use a grout that reacts like this I find that it shrinks within the first 10 mins of being applied so you can go over it again whilst the first application is still wet, then wash it off as normal. A second 'layer' of grout should not be applied ontop of grout that has been left to set, I'll put a few quid on this being your issue. It'll all need to come out and be regrouted to solve the problem, sorry if that's not wat you wanted to hear.

Reply to Soft Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Soft Grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.