Discuss Some Advise On Bathroom Wall Finish in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

moe

Hi All,

I would appreciate some advise on my bathroom project. It's a 1930s 9" solid brick block wall. The bathroom has two internal and two external facing walls. The internal walls have standard plasterboard finished with multifinish One of the external walls is cement rendered except on the wooden window lintels, the other which is next to the bath is half lime render/half cement render. I've stripped off the gypsum plaster on the external walls and am unsure how to proceed.

Should I patch up the lime render with limelite/Hardwall and straighten the lot with multifinish or do I need to remove the lime render altogether, being external walls I'm concerned about condensation.

TIA

cement_lime.jpg

M

moe

AD C thanks for your reply.

I'm not looking to cut any corners, just want the job done properly. The cement render is pretty solid, there's no way its coming off. The lime render is blown in some places and will need repairing. Would suspending an insulated plasterboard be better then a float and set cement wall as this seems to be quite contreversial issue on this forum.

W

White Room

I would also remove the lime mortar, dry lining would be my preference as insulated boards tend to be 8x4's where as plasterboard can be purchased 6x3's which are a lot easier to handle.

The external walls would need to be isolated as in all holes gaps in windows need to blocked to stop any cold air flow behind the boards thus cutting down on condensation.

M

moe

thanks for all the reply guys.

I'll take off the lime render but the Cement render is so solid its impossible to remove. I've updated the photo, the bit in red is the lime mortar the rest is cement, somehow this need to be brought up to the same height as the cement render. The issue I have is it seems a shame having the rendered all the walls to board finish aswell but as Widler mentions the walls arent't straight enough for tiling.

Whitebeam, that's a good point regarding isolating the board and window reveal.
Thompsonbrown , I plan to use 8mm ceramic tiles 248 x 498

cement_lime1.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Some Advise On Bathroom Wall Finish in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Afternoon everyone, just after a bit of advice on preparing some walls for ceramic, possibly...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, First post, so please be gentle! Preping our bathroom to drag it out of the early 90s...
Replies
Views
R
Hello. Went to look at a job yesterday. First floor bathroom. The existing wall tiles have been...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB