Discuss sometimes it pays to do a 'freebie', good karma and all that in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

redrex

bit of a follow on from the how to cut aluminium tiles post but here it is...very happy chap at the mo....got home at 9.30, been at this flat for 4 days now (no I'm not that slow doing 2 sq m of splashback). was originally a fill in job between starting a full bathroom refurb next week, was there on saturday and met Mum whos visiting her son to see the new flat he's just bought(the one im working in) news to me, anway really lovely lady and we started chatting, turns out shes from Italy and hubby does state sponsored restoration on Roman mosaic floors...been invited to Venice to have a look! Also, she mentioned that the son was a bit dissapointed with the kitchen fitter has he hadn't put one of the cabinets where he wanted-a 600 mm wall unit between a boiler and chimney breast 80mm either side of the cabinet, she said to me 'ow is he gona to cleana either side?' I commented that it would have been better to put the cabinet against the chimney breast and as there would then be a 160mm gap between the boiler , get a 150mm wall shelf unit from B&Q and have a a really nice looking wall. She said 'thatsa fantastic! bella! i tell Frankie!'and as ladies do, proceeded to go out and shop. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was waiting for the primer G to dry and thought '*lets just shift it now' normally I dont have my drills in the car but i forgot to get them out the night before so I had them, 20 mins later wall cabinet moved, looking much nicer...Son comes home with Mum and they spot it.....HAPPY DAYS!!!! I am now there 'till the end of the week finishing off the kitchen bits, under cabinet lights bit of painting etc...not so much tiling but hey, what was a £300 job has turned into a £700 job so I cant complain-bathroom needs a total refurb too and i have been asked to quote on that for him. Whats probably more important is the location of the flat, its in a lovely mansion block 5 mins from Kings Cross...and on one of my many ciggie breaks i was wondering about who else lives here? I figured cos of its location, this guy couldn't have got much change from £400 grand...(little one bed flat) there are abouth 200 flats in the block from studios to 4 beds..so I asked if i could put up a flyer on the notice board and Sunday night it went up...I have had 8 calls so far and have done 8 quotes in the same building, my current customer has given a couple of references already so fingers crossed for May and June....I a beginning to think that going full time is the best thing I ever did.What good news stories have you guys had recently? Im feeling the love tonight (obviously), so once again, thanks Tony (wetdec) for your help on my first job many months ago, when I wasnt sure that i had made the right move into self employment........

Ed

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Good story Ed. I did a 'freebie' last week, but I'm still waiting for my reward! I had to trim a really heavy kitchen door. I measured it about 10 times before I sawed the bottom off it. It was mm perfect. I also trimmed a few kickboards under the kitchen units for nothing. To be honest I did not think it would take to long, but you know how it goes.............there is no such thing as a 5 minute job. It took me ages because it kept raining and then stopping, then rain again. I might have to invest in a 110v saw. Customer very happy with the work, and they might get me back to do some wall tiling. I see you are not too far from me. I used to live in Ealing. Anyway, good luck with getting work out of those 8 quotes. Sean

Reply to sometimes it pays to do a 'freebie', good karma and all that in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
sometimes it pays to do a 'freebie', good karma and all that
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.