Discuss Spacers or not??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

Hello,

Just tiled a bathroom with these tiles.

Relieve Urbana Gris Wall Tile

I used 2mm spacers with these tiles. Some of the tiles were not perfect in size or the grout line pattern did not always match perfectly with the next tile to the right or above/below etc. So I made sure they "did" match up, but this was at the expense of some of the grout lines. These are not noticable. I have a question.

1)Was I right to use spacers....

Also another note, as I said in the other thread... the tennant is still saying their friends have the same tiles in their bathroom done ages ago, and have got a perfect match of grout with the grout line pattern... (something I would love to see.) Ive explained it near on impossible, not only is there not the exact colour match from topps, or TG range, it can vary in shade if your slightly out with the water/powder ratio. (like i I say I would love to see it)

2) Anyway, just to confirm I wont need an exact match, because Im grouting the pattern aswell as the grout lines.

thanks

I

Ian

Some tiles like this have a leaflet with them telling the installer to rotate the tile if the lines do not match up, basically saying they aren't made very well! I'd say if the lines in the tiles are 2mm then you were right to use a 2mm spacer otherwise it would have been obvious where the whole tiles were, the effect is to get all the tiles to look like individual pieces. Don't be too critical on yourself, some of this type of tile are very badly made and it's just a case of doing the best job you can with what's infront of you.

J

John the tile

No,---- the actual grout lines which make up the tiles pattern. Ive told tennant ill be tiling all the grout lines AND the tiles own grout lines which make up the pattern. all with the same grout.... BUT they say their friends had ONLY the real grout lines grouted exactly the same colour as the tiles grout line pattern... - I said that virtully impossible due to the reasons stated above... like I say I would love to see their freinds bathroom...

the question I was asking was just to confirm that I DO grout the tiles grout line pattern ASWELL as the real grout lines... (im using manhatten grey-mapei) which co-incidentally is the closest I could find to the tiles grout line pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

No,---- the actual grout lines which make up the tiles pattern. Ive told tennant ill be tiling all the grout lines AND the tiles own grout lines which make up the pattern. all with the same grout.... BUT they say their friends had ONLY the real grout lines grouted exactly the same colour as the tiles grout line pattern... - I said that virtully impossible due to the reasons stated above... like I say I would love to see their freinds bathroom...

the question I was asking was just to confirm that I DO grout the tiles grout line pattern ASWELL as the real grout lines... (im using manhatten grey-mapei) which co-incidentally is the closest I could find to the tiles grout line pattern.

Yeah grout the lot, thats the right way. Their friends bathroon sounds a bit suspect to me!

Reply to Spacers or not??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Spacers or not???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.