Discuss Split Face Tiles in Wetroom ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

lewie

TF
Seaton
Thanks for your replies.

This wetroom has a leak. The walls of this wetroom are completely fitted with split face tiles. They are not grouted. I wouldn't have expected them to be. There are gaps between the pieces of tile on the split face. The room has allegedly been tanked using an impey system. The leak has already been 'repaired' three times, tiles removed, tanked, fibreglassed,tiles refitted, etc, but there's still a problem.

The shower head is of the soaker variety and my thoughts are that the water is getting between the split face tiles and in behind and then finding it's way into the ceiling below, probably through the corners of the walls.

The client is minted and says 'just fix the leak'.

Any thoughts ?

Lewie

lewie

TF
Seaton
That's the dilemma. One can only assume that it wasn't tanked properly in the first place. To do the job would probably mean stripping most, if not all of the wall and the floor tiles off, tanking it properly and then re-tiling the floor and walls. Almost certainly the pre-formed tray will come up with the tiles so the cost could be astronomical.

It doesn't help that the chap who uses the wetroom lets it fill up so that there's four inches of water in the tray. Might mean that the water doesn't drain away properly and there's a plumbing problem to boot.

O

One Day

I've done this before. I waterproofed the area using Kerdi board and tape. Fixed split face white quartz and I back buttered each piece to make sure all gaps were filled, then each piece was laid almost like a brick - I pointed a touch of adhesive onto the edges of the piece before - again, trying to leave no gaps open. I know water can/will soak through to the kerdi but then finished off by absolutely soaking the lot in impregnating sealer.
Job looked great and my customer seemed happy to make even more work for her cleaner!

I warned her that I would be making a mould-garden but she wanted to risk it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Split Face Tiles in Wetroom ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
We inherited split face tiles on a feature wall in our ensuite. In my naivety over the last few...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB