Discuss Steam/Shower room in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

M

mullerit

Hi All,

I am about to rip out my current ensuite and start work on a refurb. Whilst ultimately I am in 2 minds about whether I will actually do the tiling myself (probably get one of you guys to do it), I want to do all the prep/plumbing myself. The crowning glory of is the introduction of a glass fronted steam/shower room. I have attached some screen shots of the basic design (made using google sketchup - blinking brilliant tool sketchup designis also included in the zip file for those of you who may have sketchup - download it it's free!). Anyways I digress. I have done some googling on the solutions out there to properly tank/vapour seal a steam room and I am tending to favour the Schluter Kerdi system. Main downside I can see is its pricing and for the membrane alone to cover the 17m2 area its gonna be around £300. I was wondering whether anyone else would have any advise on what to use. I have seen some other posts on here (deanotile?) that favour Wedi but I can't see how this is 100% vapour proof?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Attachments

• en suite 1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 101
  • en suite2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 106
  • en suite3.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 116
  • en suite4.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 95
  • ensuite sketchup.zip
    898.2 KB · Views: 93
T

terrygrant

Hi Ian,
Wedi and Marmox boards have a polycellular structure and it is the middle layer that is waterproof rather than the cementious faces. You could also construct using water resistant plasterboard and then use a paint on tanking system like PCI Lastogum or BAL WP1 as long as you use a fully flexible tape in the internal corners this form of tanking works very well and is considerably cheaper than Wedi board. There are also competing boards simmilar to Wedi and Marmox that are cheaper. Try Duckkaboard and PCI (Part of BASF) to somthing simmilar as well.

Frankly most failures of tanking systems are due to incompetent/careless installation and little to do with wether its Marmox/Wedi/Lastogum etc....if the same person had installed the alternative system, their incompetence would have lead them to install another leaking seive anyway.

Regards

Terry
Onthetiles.biz

Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Steam/Shower room in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi All, First time poster and tiler here. Hoping to get a bit of advice on tiling a wet room...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB