Discuss Stone work training in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Ceramico tiling

Hi All

I am toying with the idea of getting a bunch of tilers together and then approaching a stonemasons yard and asking them to put together a series of day long courses on the weekend.
I don't know about you guys but as a standard tiler I am getting down about not having the experience to confidently take on stone staircases, large stone panelling(mechanical fixings) etc. And stone mason training is only obtained by going to day time college for 3 years or working as a labourer for a mason.
IMO just a few days with this kind of training will put you miles ahead of the competition that don't have the experience.
So ideas for day long courses would be..

polishing
mechanical fixings
cleaning & repair
perhaps staircases
any other ideas??

I am based in London ,I would be interested in what you guys think about the idea!!

P

Pebbs

Are you serious? you think you can learn mechanical fixing in a day? It takes years, its not a question of just thowing it up there and hoping for the best. You need to know everything from distribution of the weight loads, dealing with different substrates and putting the right fixings in to accomodate this. If you get anything wrong on mechnical fixing, you could end up killing someone. But you should be fine because of course you will have your professional indemity insurance in place which should be running for a minimum of 12 years for each piece of completed work.

Pebbs

C

Ceramico tiling

Well you are right I would imagine. I have no ideas of the time-scales, as I mentioned it just an idea in its early stages and no one said any body was going to be throwing stone up after a day!! This issue would have become evident anyway and the whole " one day course thing " would obviously have to change.

But I worked in a stone yard a few months ago for a few days and the owner was speaking about doing this. He for one would I guess if there were enough people interested. Not everyone thinks with that mindset " why give away secrets etc". Even if there is not much to be learnt in one day it would still be a step forward and opening up new doors etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Stone work training in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB