Discuss Strong Silicone Adhesive - Shower Screen with no bottom fixing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bazza999

Hi all,

Wanted some advice on the best Silicone to use. Im installing a wetroom shower screen, 1.3mx2m. There is a silver strip which attaches to the wall and is screwed in, into which the glass slides. however there is no bar for the bottom of the screen, and the instructions recomment the use of just silicone (or rather the instructions show a picture of what looks like silicone being applied between floor tiles and shower screen). I take it the silicon should be very strong if its gonna hold that size glass which is 8mm thick, so i want to get the right stuff. doing research, there is so much choice. Sikaflex, Geocel the Works, GPPro, CT1, HA6 Marine Silicone.... the list seems endless. Any advice would be greatly received. Ideally I would like it to be completely transparent....

Thanks in advance :)

Q

Qwerty

Use a silicone from Dow Corning or Mapei. You will find that the weight alone held hold it, but thoroughly recommend you buy a brace bar at the top of the glass.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391209321.757190.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391209353.556986.jpg

S

Stef

Thanks for reply guys. The screen does have a brace bar so will have support from top, was just concerned about a strong adhesive/sealant for the bottom. Are all good quality sealants about the same strength in terms of their 'grab'?. The one i was leaning towards is 'The Works' by Geocel which I understand is the same manufacturer as Dow Corning.

If your going to use "the works" then stick it on top of a radiator or in a bucket of warm water before use, unless you have arms like a Gorilla.
I only used a bit out of a tube & ended up switching back to silicone so not sure how good it was.

M

Matt

I'd use clear ct1 as it's a super strong adhesive and quality silicone, it's a tad expensive but it's very versitile, clear cures translucent rather than Dow Corning which is cheaper and cures a misty colour, but does the job, I don't trust it for strength and temp changes, but for what you want, it will do the job, but spend the extra £9 and see your bathroom give way before the ct1 does

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Strong Silicone Adhesive - Shower Screen with no bottom fixing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m just about to renovate small bathroom and replace bath with shower. We have very hard...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
I had some advice here a while back on laying Porcelain Tiles on Outside porch , I followed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm researching the best method of fixing a 8mm glass shower screen to a wet room floor. Is...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB