Discuss Stupid question time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Also, Chipboard is a pretty poor flooring material for bathroom in general. I have replaced or repaired quite a few bathroom floors. Once moisture gets into the chipboard it very rarely comes out 100%.

I always screw floors down though. In fact I very rarely use nails for anything apart from roofing. I bought a 25KG box of 2 inch and the same of 4 inch 6 yeas ago and I've still got about half of each box.

T

Tenchman

Main reason is the chip is just compressed sawdust and it swells up like cat litter when the water from adhesive soaks in, then it expands and stays that way thus blowing the tiles either off or the chip falls to bits.

I have done dozens of 2nd opinions amazingly the tilers in question have nearly always said the builders or client told them it would be fine ??????

still massive room for improvement in our trade.

A

Alberta Stone

But we have all seen it tiled on and it hasnt always failed though.
I have seen tile put on K-3 which is even worse than chipboard as it is like an early MDF style board but less dense, and I have seen areas which didn't fail.
But, any spots that got even a little water under into the board and it inflates and disintegrates.
It is taking a hell of a gamble to tile onto such material.
You may be lucky and have no problems, but hey, even people who play russian roulette have a chance to spin that barrel again.
Certainly not the mark of a professional who cares about their clients investment to advise or make such a poor and un-warranty-able choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

I think that in the past most experienced tilers will have tiled direct to chipboard but they have seen the shortfall now and again. Times are changing and there are safer methods available to us now. As an experienced professional I dont want to take any chances that a floor can fail, should such a thing happen it would prove costly in terms of money and maybe my reputation.
Yes adhesive manufacturers will claim that their adhesive will stick to chipboard ...I dont doubt it will stick but what happens if the boards expand or contract ? There is only so much the adhesive and tile can take.
As I have said times move on and so do we as fixers.
That said I will admit to tiling my own bathroom floor with a 2 part rubber crumb adhesive which has not failed in the 7 years that it has been down...........Its less that 2m2 though and although it was laid direct to old type T&G floorboards they were securely fixed.
I certainly wouldnt use that method in a room any larger. In fact I havent used that method for a good number of years.....it hasnt failed but I see better methods.

A

Alberta Stone

In a game like ours, failures are costly.
None of us are doing this because we wish to give it away, we seek to gain.
Ergo, we look for better methods...things that work, reliably, time and again with no issues.
I have heard the adage: "learn from your mistakes"
And while that is capital advice, my dad taught me one better:
"Learn from the mistakes of others as you will not live long enough to make them all yourself".

Reply to Stupid question time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Hello: First time posting. Looks like a really good forum for Info. Here is my question: I'm...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Poynton, cheshire

Thread Information

Title
Stupid question time
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.