Currently reading:
Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Electrical Advice

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Discussion ThreadSub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Electrical Advice

I am a retired electrician doing a home rewire.

I'm taking my time because I fell about 3m off a ladder & put both bones through the inside of my right leg.
That has slowed things down a lot...

My understanding of the AS:3000 regs is that all circuits in a domestic residence must be RCD protected.

When we moved here I replaced the tiny & cramped outside switchboard with a bigger one.
Later I fitted a loadcentre in the kitchen so I didn't have to go out in the cold & wet to troubleshoot.

I am totally upgrading the kitchen loadcentre.
It is a 36 pole, 3x 12 with all Clipsal Max9 internals.
Although a major clean up has rendered it unnecessary, I was a hoarder so I went for the Arc Protect breakers for extra protection due to the extra fuel load in the building at the time.

My question is regarding the sub-mains into the loadcentre.
The way I read the regs is that it has to be 30mA protected or protected by an earthed enclosure inside of walls.

Being a submains, it cannot be 30mA protected if the final circuits are also 30mA protected.
That would make the section up inside the wall from the switchboard to the ceiling & down inside the wall from the ceiling to the loadcentre needing to be in an earthed enclosure.
Steel pipe or conduit would be a pain to fit.

I found a supplier that sold small lengths of Anaconda Flex Metal Conduit with plastic outer sheathing so I picked up some.
This has a spiral wound galvanised iron central section with plastic outer sheathing.
I have the correct metal end fittings with screwed lock rings that have a wire tunnel & screws to make the earth connections.

The highest part of our ceiling is low enough that you need to remain bent over which makes working up there awkward - especially when you have a lot of years on the bones.
I rescued undamaged dressed pine from a skip after a local flood & ran two strips the full length of the ceiling.
I fitted sections of ply spaced along it so you can scoot along on...

Read more

Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Article
What's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install? Discussion ThreadWhat's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install? Electrical Advice What's the most badly designed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Tilers Community
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF on Facebook

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.