Discuss Subbies & taxation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
depends on weather you agreeded half each before or after tax, if your the subbie then the builder would pay you less tax you then split the money in half, and you pay him less tax.....i think.....lol........my head hurts now !!

easier to just get the builder to issuse 2 cheques for each of you £500 each less the tax..

Thats exactly what I mean Andy, You both do the same job but you are paying tax on the same income twice, which can't be right. Thats how you end end up with less than the bloke who's working for you.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
It's not just an expense though you'd be paying someone and therefore you should be deducting their tax.......I think!

When I did a tax course, which was a waste of time lol, I was told that you could use a subbie twice in a year. Anymore than that, they were to be treated as an employee... But out in the real world, it doesn't work like that. I do a lot of subbie work, and different builders work in different ways, because that's how their accountants say to do it. The guy I'm working for at the moment likes to be invoiced, so he's not paying the tax, the one before used to pay the tax on the whole lot, then transfer my wages into my bank account, and I'd pay tax on that separately.. The one before that would get the customer to pay me directly, or pay me cash!?!
All I know, is I'm paying the tax on what I receive, so I should be ok.. If they're doing it wrong, it's between them, their accountants, and the tax man. ;)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Subbies & taxation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I see and hear all to often of the horror stories when someone hires a supposed tiler only to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've been planning on tiling my 16sq m dining room floor for ages, so have been reading...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
D
Started a job, tiling 5 kitchens on Monday, I had got nearly 3 of them finished when the client...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB