UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Substrate Query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

robbo

Perhaps Fast flex on and around the join area would be a good idea, but its not cheap....

BAL Fastflex Powder & Liquid
fastflex.jpg
A two part, rapid-setting, sulphate-resistant, water-resistant and frost-resistant floor tile adhesive and isolating, anti-fracture underlay, suitable for use in interior and exterior locations. Suitable for fixing ceramic floor and porcelain tiles and mosaics (including fully vitrified), dark natural stone and slate. Suitable for use on tile backer boards, glazed tiles, concrete bases, cement:sand screeds, tongue & groove floorboarding, plywood overlay, floating plywood/chipboard floors, ceramic/quarry tile/terrazzo/hard natural stone bases, vinyl tiles/sheet, mastic asphalt, steel, glass reinforced polyester (GRP), steel and galvanised steel. Conforms to BS EN 12004, Type C, Class 1F.

P

Pawelzik

...wall has been knocked down and the tiles will now cover ply (new area) to concrete(old area). Tried to talk customer into ditra matting but he didn't really want to know....

As Dave said I suppose too that mesh works only is too weak. :stupid:
Insist on the uncoupling method :thumbsup:, you are right and the pro, otherwise you can´t guarantee or stay away from the job.

Or lets see it from the customers side: I think he/she can understand the deflection problem so he/she should understand that some additional work must be done. Are we talking about a huge amount of money? No, not realy compared to what it will cost if the tiles are laid, will crack and a big area must be lifted up again for repair works.

May be you can ask Wetdecs if there is a thin uncoupling matting for less.
Martin

G

grumpygrouter

This method of using a slip membrane has been used throughout the construction industry for many a year and is still probably classed as a trade secret. just think about it.. you are debonding the finished surface from the main substrate thus it does not matter what problems may occure with any settlement. Believe me this works and i can say that with all honesty.
Not really sure what you are saying here Mart. This indicates to me that you have not got the top surface attached to the substrate but just to a piece of film, is that right? If so, isn't this exactly what Ditra or Durabse does as an "isolating" layer? These substances do not provide security against deflection, only lateral movement. I don't see how a 5 micron thick sheet of polyethylene can stop several dozen kilograms from deflecting a floor joist for instance.

Have you go examples you can show us or some sort of document?

Cheers.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Substrate Query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.