Discuss Suitable substrate for travertine wall tiles in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MarkP80

Hi guys, another query from me!

OK, still on the bathroom (for those who've seen my floor thread) but the walls this time.

The room is currently tiled, and these will all be coming off, and from past experience will bring lumps of the plasterboard with them. The walls are simple stud construction (1980). I'm probably going to tile at leat two of the walls to ceiling height, and a shower will be in one corner.

So, can anyone please recommend the best way to sort the walls? As the plasterboard is likely to be badly damaged, I'm quite happy to remove it and replace it with something else. What I don't know - I'm hoping you can give me some good advice! But I'd rather do something like replace it with a special material, than patch up the plasterboard then apply a treatment.

I do realise that whatever tiles the Mrs finally chooses, they are likely to be those heavy ones (I think they're called travertine?) So, skimmed plasterboard seems like a bad idea as common sense tells me I'll end up with a pile of rear-skimmed tiles on the floor!

So, is there a special alternative to plasterboard to use, that is simply screwed to the studwork (and what's it called!) that is suitable for the weight of this type of tile. Also, considering it's a bathroom and some parts will be in a shower area, should I be applying a waterproofing system (like dura-wp?)? (well, getting someone else to apply it for me, I mean)

As well as the walls, I'll also be having some boxing constructed to concela the cistern for a wall hung toilet. Again, what material should this be faced with - ply, or again is there some special tile backing board?

I only want to do this once.....

Many thanks for all the helpful advice,
MarkP

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ruscopico

Use Hardie Backer and a waterproofing kit as you mentioned for the shower area, don't pay someone else to do it, just follow the instructions its pretty straight forward.

You can also use it for the boxing in of the cistern as it will be more resilient then plasterboard should you have any problems further down the line - oh and don't forget to leave an access panel.

You might also want to take this opportunity to consider insulation in the stud walls for thermal/acoustic considerations.

good luck :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Suitable substrate for travertine wall tiles in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB