UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss sun4udirect nightmare. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Just got back from my hols. 8 days in sunny Ibiza.
6 days before we travelled (Friday 13th) my Wife came running up the stairs. Oh my God, the travel firm we booked with has gone bust. I got straight onto the phone and rang the emergency number on our booking form. The number was a Spanish number and a Spanish lady answered it. She could not speak a word of English and she did not know anything about our hotel or travel company – in other words I think it was a random Spanish number on our booking letter! I tracked down our hotel in Ibiza and rang them. Yes – they had our room and they said everything was fine. They gave me the number of the booking agent to check if they had received payment. So my third call to Spain ended up in the lady saying that ‘Yes’ money had been received and that we should proceed with our holiday. I asked for this in writing, but of course never received it.

We arrived at our hotel at 23:00 to be told that our booking had been cancelled because our tour operator had gone bust. They said it was not their fault and we should find somewhere else to stay because they were full. They made the mistake of showing me an email from the booking agent that asked the hotel to let us know of the cancellation. So I grabbed the email and put it in my pocket as evidence. We kept our calm even past midnight. We were still in reception arguing that the hotel had a responsibility to find us a room. Eventually we had to play the disabled card (due to the fact that my 4 year old girl is disabled). Only then did they start to show some sympathy.

To cut a long story short, we had to buy a room off them for 2 nights then we moved down the road to a room above a bar for the remaining 6 nights. They tried to charge us the full price for the 2 night stay in the hotel, but I was having none of that. Eventually they sold it to me for the same price they charged the agencies.

ABTA & ATOL are useless in this situation because we did not book a ‘package’ holiday. I only booked the hotel and was therefore not covered by their protection. I am now in the process of trying to get my bank to pay for our loss, as I had booked with a VISA debit card.

Saying that, we still had a good time away. The weather was great, but it did take 3 days to finally calm down after the dreadful start.

The way the holiday industry works is a complete joke. I’ve heard that in some cases the hotel gets paid 2 years after a customer has stayed! The low cost airlines on the other hand demand that payment is cleared before the plane takes off

I hope that’s and end to travel firms going bust, but I fear it won’t be.

D

Daz

Sorry to hear of your issues Sean.

Glad you managed to enjoy some of the break, but it's a real shame that all the de-stressing is going to rapidly be un-done fighting for your money back.

I guess you'll need another holiday after this saga :thumbsdown:.

A few years ago, I booked a hotel through Med Hotels and a separate flight with XL airlines. I felt really clever for saving a few quid until 2 weeks before we were due to fly I hear that the hotel has been massively overbooked and guests are not finding out until they arrive. With flights booked I had to find an alternative hotel. I ended up spending an extra £800 to get into another hotel and had no recourse to get my money back, not feeling particularly smug now :thumbsdown:. I always book the full package now.

D

doug boardley

Sorry to hear of your issues Sean.

Glad you managed to enjoy some of the break, but it's a real shame that all the de-stressing is going to rapidly be un-done fighting for your money back.

I guess you'll need another holiday after this saga :thumbsdown:.

A few years ago, I booked a hotel through Med Hotels and a separate flight with XL airlines. I felt really clever for saving a few quid until 2 weeks before we were due to fly I hear that the hotel has been massively overbooked and guests are not finding out until they arrive. With flights booked I had to find an alternative hotel. I ended up spending an extra £800 to get into another hotel and had no recourse to get my money back, not feeling particularly smug now :thumbsdown:. I always book the full package now.
lol, that's who I'll be using in another 3 years:lol:

M

mikethetile

sorry to hear about your troubles mate, but you made the best of it

ive had similar problems as above over the years and found that even a package holiday isnt really covered as theres to many variables that are beyond their control, like overbooking, hotels not completed etc
these days I have none of that

everything is booked seperate, no middlemen. we dont pay for the hotel till we are leaving. if they want a deposit we look elsewhere

theres no need to go package these days with the internet and google interpreter at your disposal

after watching coast on the telly last night we are looking at a trip to Denmark next year

M

mikethetile

book early if you want to go camping as the sites fill up quick

ive been camping on and off for thirty years and have never known it so popular. on the upside camping gear has never been so cheap

we have more room than a caravan, an electrical hookup, fridge freezer , kitchen with running water etc. pure luxury and it all fits in the back of a peugeot 205

I can fully reccomend it as a stress buster

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to sun4udirect nightmare. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.