Discuss SWA cable Terminating or not?? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

SWA cable Terminating or not?? Discussion ThreadSWA cable Terminating or not?? Electrical Advice

Had a discussion with my electrician today about upgrading the SWA mains cable fed from my house to my garage as im looking to use the garage for some woodworking machines, eg table saw, planer as well as some sockets and lights.
Sparky has informed me that there is currently a 3 core 6mm SWA feeding the garage and for what im looking to add It would be best to change this out to a 3 core 16mm for what i was looking to use with some future proofing if i decided i wanted to add some more things in the future.
I wish to point out that the consumer unit within the property is plastic and not metal

The purpose of this post is that he has told me that due to the size of the proposed new cable that it would be best terminated into a box on outside wall of property located directly behind the consumer unit and then brought into the property in a cable which is more easily positioned into the plastic consumer unit. The garage side he said he would drill the concrete floor and take the SWA straight through up to the Consumer unit in there so its only at the house side I have a concern.
This is not how the original 6mm cable has been done as it has been fed all the way through the external wall into the consumer unit.
I was just wondering if he is suggesting an easy install for himself by suggesting this way or if he is making complete sense given that this is a much heavier duty cable and harder to bend.
He did also say that by doing it this way that both ends of the SWA would then be connected to earth instead of just one at the garage side.
I would have thought that the less connections there are the better and also less chance of anything going wrong with connections in the future.

Happy to hear what some other guys thoughts on this are as this is only the first guy I have spoken with so far about it.

Cheers

Tinman

SWA cable Terminating or not?? for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to SWA cable Terminating or not?? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
SWA cable Terminating or not?? Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond