Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Swimming pool in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

huntsmoor

Hi, I have a tiled swimming pool which was contstructed about 4 years ago. There have been not been any problems with it until it started losing water 3 months ago. The pool is in Spain where builders are desperate for work. The builder (who I have not used before) called in to rectify the problem has said that the adhesive and grout used were not waterproof and suggests I re-tile it.
What would happen in the normal course of events if standard (non-waterproof) adhesive and grout was used.
How could he know what products were used and could he be right or is he just trying to find a nice job for himself?
The normal souce of leaks is around inlets, outlets etc. The pool was constructed out of re-inforced concrete and then tiled.
Thanks

Hi Huntsmoor,

The tiles in a swimming pool are not there to hold water mate, they are merely a decorative finish:thumbsup:

Your pool tank should have been rendered in a waterproof render such as Sika - this is what retains the pool water if you like. A pool tank should always be tested before tiling commences to make sure it holds water and there are no leaks or other assiciated problems. By this I mean the tank is filled with water and allowed to stand for a periods of time. The tank is then drained allowed to dry and THEN tiled.

Saying that I have tiled concrete only pools before....

There is another Forum member on here called 'Gooner' who specializes in pool tanks and pool tiling, he will be along shortly I'm sure to offer further advice.

Are your tiles coming off?

Last edited:
I don't think the concrete was rendered and I have no way of finding out. The tiles are not falling off at all. The grout looks as good as new. There are no cracks to be seen. In fact, the pool looks perfect!

It sounds to me like, as you've already said, there's a leak at one of the inlets or in the filtration system somewhere.

If the water was getting behind you tiles and the incorrect adhesive/grout had been used, they would be starting to drop by now....

Gooner might be able to advise on a few tests you can do to find ot where it's going wrong:thumbsup:

Reply to Swimming pool in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi after some advice . Just finished the shower cubicle , used a Mapei white grout and the grout...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Swimming pool
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.