Discuss Taking on an apprentice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

2 words , RED & TAPE.

It's all about employing them directly now , pain in the preverbial. Not like the old days .

Old Days

Contractor. "Here's your wages , I've stopped your tax , see you on Monday.

Apprentice. "Thankyou , see you on Monday".

Today

Contractor. "Here's your wages , I've stopped your tax , paid your NI , paid my NI for employing you , allowed for your holidays , allowed for your sick pay just in case , set up a pension scheme and put some money aside for the xmas do . See you tuesday as I've got to work on Sunday to cover the extra costs and then need Monday off to do all the paper work".

Apprentice. "Thankyou , see you on Tuesday".

Diggy :smilewinkgrin:

B

Bubblecraft

2 words , RED & TAPE.

It's all about employing them directly now , pain in the preverbial. Not like the old days .

Old Days

Contractor. "Here's your wages , I've stopped your tax , see you on Monday.

Apprentice. "Thankyou , see you on Monday".

Today

Contractor. "Here's your wages , I've stopped your tax , paid your NI , paid my NI for employing you , allowed for your holidays , allowed for your sick pay just in case , set up a pension scheme and put some money aside for the xmas do . See you tuesday as I've got to work on Sunday to cover the extra costs and then need Monday off to do all the paper work".

Apprentice. "Thankyou , see you on Tuesday".

Diggy :smilewinkgrin:

So true!

T

Time's Ran Out

The only way our trade is going to improve is by the small company taking on an apprentice and training him/her properly.
However I believe they must be no more than 17 years of age and have a want to learn.
It should be possible for anyone of that age to earn £200 a week and allow the skilled man to initiate more work to cover the additional cost.
I've trained 5 young lads and more experienced tilers over the last 39 years, but stopped 13 years ago when I got my son out of bed and took him to work!
Having said all that you need plenty of patience, time and understanding, but they need to be learning from day 1 and not just fetching and carrying.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Taking on an apprentice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Does anybody have any experience of taking on an apprentice? I wonder is it worth...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB