UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Taking up 220m2 of tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

We were asked to repair a few tiles in a 2 year old Audi garage a short while ago and when I told them they were all loose, they still just wanted a few repaired!!!!!
We didn't get the job but it would have only taken a couple of days for your quantity.
At half an hour per meter ( which sounds ok for well fixed tiles) that's 55 days work for 1 man! So you'll have to put plenty of bodies on the job or work faster. For turnaround and lost sales you'll be lucky to get 2 weeks for the whole job so taking up and laying will have to go side by side. A squad of 6 would be a minimum IMHO.

B

bugs183

Could be a doddle or a total nightmare!!! I err on it being a mare, then i'm usually surprised!!!
Make sure the customer is aware that it will take what it does to get the tiles up, there i no way of knowing until you start.
There is every chance that it's going to need levelling, tiling onto onto a rough floor of that area is a pain, if it's rough relevel it. Otherwise you'll use tons more adhesive and it'll take more time fighting the bumps and holes.

B

bugs183

If you can have a site visit take a good look around where you will be working.
Make sure you talk to yourr boss employer etc, and that you know who will be doing what regarding this stage of the job.
Will there be a skip/skips, and how close will it be to the work area, are you responcible for removing all the tiles and dust etc???
Are people going to be working where you'll be?
Is the area contained or open to other rooms.
This is going to be a dusty, noisy job. Will you have to erect dust screens and hire industrial vacuums?
People love new floors, but aint keen on dust!!!!
Not being a moaner or putting a negative spin, but i'm a realist and it's nice to think you can go on to a job and be confident it's going to go as you expected.

aflemi

TF
Arms
We were asked to repair a few tiles in a 2 year old Audi garage a short while ago and when I told them they were all loose, they still just wanted a few repaired!!!!!
We didn't get the job but it would have only taken a couple of days for your quantity.
At half an hour per meter ( which sounds ok for well fixed tiles) that's 55 days work for 1 man! So you'll have to put plenty of bodies on the job or work faster. For turnaround and lost sales you'll be lucky to get 2 weeks for the whole job so taking up and laying will have to go side by side. A squad of 6 would be a minimum IMHO.

Sorry mate but 220m at 1/2hr per m is only 110 hours. only 55 days if you do a 2 hr day............, so more like 9-12 man days. Just in case someone's using that number without checking it, would be embarassing

Anyone ever used one of these??

HTC 420 VS - a small and durable grinding machine

Hire shops would charge around £400+VAT for the machine/transformer and dust extraction. The big cost seems to be with wear and tear on the diamond heads £30-£60 per mm. Would be interested to know if anyone knows what wear & tear you would get from 100m2?

Most cases I would remove tiles and use SLC. But when a short time frame is key to the project, I have started thinking this is a better solution. Could probably get most tiles up and start setting out on day 1, instead of day 1 remove tiles, day 2 level area and day 3 setout.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with it. Trying to get my foot in the door with a hotel group, that has 200m2 of cermaic laid in the hotel lobby. I found out from the night watchmen, that they want it doing and are already planning to close this christmas!

turnip

TF
Arms
first, the builder would be erecting partioning so don't worry about that, secondly two labourers will take one day to smash up the lot of the existing (don't expect that the old tiles will be welded to the screed). easy, kango the lot up and chuck in skip (builder providing?). latex and ready for new electrics, etc then tiling. this was the system we used on a 220msq car showroom floor recently, good luck!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Taking up 220m2 of tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread...
Replies
Views
Hi Just after any advice on starting up as a tiler , same old stuck in a dead end boring job...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.