UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Talk yourself out of work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I went to a customers house 2 nights ago to price up a job. Job described to me as a small en-suite, builders done all the prep and the walls have all been skimmed and primed ready for tiles.....

Should have trusted my instincts right there and then, but you have to give them the benefit don't you.

True to his word the walls were skimmed and primed with something. Nice and flat as well....

Then he showed me the tiles. 600 x 300 x 12mm thick Travertine that he sourced from somewhere on the internet, I then started to explain about weight limits on plastered walls to him. He looked at me like like I had just said I would like his wife for the evening. I then went on further to ask about what primer the builder had used. This one as he produced a tub of PVA. I tried to tell him that the worst case scenario could be that a tile or tiles could come crashing down into the bath while his new baby was in the bath which was extreme I know but I was just trying to wake him up to what I was saying.

Anyhow as you might guess I didn't get the job, which in it's current state couldn't have proceeded without extra prep anyway.

Someone will go round there and say oh no problem i'll just stick em up no worries. Give us £100!!!!!!!!

Rant over.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Good point. Why is it so hard for a customer to believe when you tell them though.

because they know no different, most tile shops just want a sale and couldnt care less, customers nowadays just seem to grab the first bargin they see without talking to the tiler first and theres allways some cowboy out there that will just do it anyway....

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
i was going to start a thread on this, as this is my number one bug bare, ive lost count the amount of times ive been to look at jobs and the customer has a big pile of trav or porcelain piled up outside the bathroom, beaming from ear to ear telling me what a fantastic bargin they got on there tiles, then they look at me like im some kind of idiot when i tell them they cant fit them on the walls as they are.

first thing they allways say is 'they never said that in the tile shop', but did they ever ask them? 'can you fit these tiles on to skimmed walls,' how many customers know what a skimmed wall is?

imo this problem needs to be sorted asap, tiles are only getting bigger, and it ain't going away.

tile manfactures could print weight limits on boxs, at least that would cover us when we look at jobs, we can simply piont to what it says on the box, bit like when we see polished porcelain that says it needs wax removing or sealing, its in black and white and stops any cowboy from saying its ok the other tiler dosnt know what hes on about.

but this has to be backed up from the suppliers, most customers see tiles on displays and dont see the boxs till there being delivered or loaded in there car, and what customer reads the boxs anyway, they need to inform the customer about wieght limits, maybe give them a sample and recommend a tiler to talk to first.

would be interested to here from any tile suppliers ,on there take on this...:thumbsup:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Sometimes when I tell the customers all these things I get the job because of it.
Sadly, more often than not, I get the impression they think I'm trying it on to fleece money out of them.
A bit like a mechanic when they look at your engine and do that sharp intake of breath through their teeth!
People are wary and careful with their money - What can you do?

I remember taking some 6x6 tiles of a wall and the whole lot fell on top of me cutting my head had to have stitches hate to think what porcelain or stone would do it makes you think,its got to be in the makers and retailers interests to point out the weight ratio this is a problem that we are all facing including the customers who are buying these tiles.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Talk yourself out of work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.