UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tall Mono Basin Tap On Travertine Surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

I have built a basin unit for my travertine basin.

The unit is tiled in travertine with the top being travertine also.

I am planning on installing a tall mono basin tap but am concerned about how to fix the tap securely. I am anticipating that the tap may not fix firmly and will move (rotate) or upon tightening it will crack the travertine.

IMAG0082.jpg IMAG0081.jpg

Has anyone done a similar thing?

Should I be thinking about fixing the tap to the wood beneath the travertine (top isn't fixed down yet) or will I be fine just fixing to the travertine top direct?

I hope I have explained that ok. There's a couple of pics attached. As said the travertine top is not yet fixed in place.

Thanks in advance,

Daz

D

DazJWood

Ideally I'd fix the tap to the wood, but seeing as you have a tile on top the next best woud be to drill through both and tighten onto the wood.
You could just fix it to the tile, depends how thick it is.
Looking at the pic (always helps to look), my option 2 would be best. I'd probably put some silicon on the tap base just to be sure it wouldn't move.

I don't have a tile on top. As I said it's not fixed yet. Just sitting on top in the picture.
Am just concerned that tightening it directly to the tile would crack the tile or not be enough to keep it rigid.

The silicon idea may work but there's not a lot of an area on the bottom 'plinth' bit of the tap.

I could fix it to the wood I guess.

K

kendo1

Probably best to drill a pilot hole through both the tile and cabinet top so that the holes line up. Use a core drill for the tile and a spade drill for the cabinet.
Once you've drilled them attach the tile and let it set. Check the holes line up!
When you fit the tap, put some silicon around the base and feed the thread through. Tighten up the back nut hand tight.
When the silicon has gone off tighten up the back nut a wee bit more, making sure the tap doesn't turn when you do so. An extra pair of hands may be useful.

Ken

D

DazJWood

Probably best to drill a pilot hole through both the tile and cabinet top so that the holes line up. Use a core drill for the tile and a spade drill for the cabinet.
Once you've drilled them attach the tile and let it set. Check the holes line up!
When you fit the tap, put some silicon around the base and feed the thread through. Tighten up the back nut hand tight.
When the silicon has gone off tighten up the back nut a wee bit more, making sure the tap doesn't turn when you do so. An extra pair of hands may be useful.

Ken

Great! Thanks very much for the advice!
I'll try that as the plan :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tall Mono Basin Tap On Travertine Surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
D
The guys at Hansgrohe have made life great for clients but difficult for installers. There is...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
Evening, I am doing a job for a customer which i have been dreading!!!. Tilling the floor of...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
D
Am I right in saying that, prior to installation to my custom tiled counter top, I should seal...
Replies
Views
Topshop
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.