Discuss Tanking a brand new bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mbath

Hi guys hoping someone out there can help. I'm currently tiling a square bathroom which is stripped bare. 2 of the 4 walls are covered with marine ply. I put this up on the advice of my brother in law who has fitted and tiled several bathrooms it's 12mm thick (I wish I did my own research as reading these forums are a real eye opener). I'm now stuck with this mainly due to cost as I've spent £20 a sheet. I originally had no intention of tanking the shower but after reading the forums I will be now. So I just have a couple of questions.

1) My original plan was to tile top to bottom and then fit the shower tray last. As the shower tray will be raised can I use waterproof tape where the shower height will meet the tiles or is this pointless? Looking at videos on youtube the tape seems to over lap the tray but given my intention of fitting the shower tray last what can I do? Reason for fitting it last is access the shower tray takes up almost the length of the wall and is quite wide which means I would struggle to tile the surrounding walls unless I use a ladder on top of the tray which several reasons I don't fancy doing.

2) I intend to buy the below waterproofing kit & adhesive, any good? Choosing the buildfix adhesive as I can get 30% discount at b&q

http://www.*************/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit-5kg/78484

Buildfix Ultimate Showerproof Wall Tile Adhesive 15kg, 8022452042065

Appreciate any help for advice many thanks in advance

M

mbath

Given that water will penetrate 1 wall mainly as the other wall will hold the shower head can I just cover this wall shouldn't cost that much this way. If i were to cover just 1 wall what else will i need? Where's the cheapest place to buy it from in store. I need to do it tomorrow I've promised my dad he will have a brand new bathroom by Christmas. Sorry for all the questions given that I'm spending so much I want to make sure it lasts my parents.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tanking a brand new bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi all, probably a pretty common question but I'm going around in circles looking online for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB