UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tanking a shower cubicle that has new plastered walls? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Tiles are 400mm x 300mm ceramic. The thinking was that the walls that were being tiled did not need the smooth skim finish and that the walls around the bath and sink would only be skimmed above tiled area where it is going to be painted.

As i said above,no point tanking if its bonding or browning,it will need skimming mate,plasterboard or s/c is fine as long as its primed/sealed

Whathay,i did it from me phone,the future is bright for me eh

R

Richard Edwards

If asked by a client to tile a 'wet area' within a wetroom or bath / shower room on a plastered wall without tanking or protection, I would either refuse to do it or ask the client to sign an liability document.

We do an awful lot of wet rooms and shower rooms as complete projects and if the walls are cement / scratch coated / rendered or cleaned-off from old tiling, we either use a tanking cementous board, jointing tape and corner joints, or if the final wall thickness does not suit we use a roll of tankin sheet - various on the market including Butec / Nicobond / Lux etc. I wouldn't skim finish plaster and I'm not sure I agree about the weight theory either, if the plaster skim is really flat and smooth (not many are !) then all it means is that it makes the tiling an easier job.

Summary - always tank / seal / board all wet areas without fail - Its better to spend £100 on tanking than £1000 on ripping it all out 6 months down the line.

Do it right - Do it once !

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

If asked by a client to tile a 'wet area' within a wetroom or bath / shower room on a plastered wall without tanking or protection, I would either refuse to do it or ask the client to sign an liability document.

We do an awful lot of wet rooms and shower rooms as complete projects and if the walls are cement / scratch coated / rendered or cleaned-off from old tiling, we either use a tanking cementous board, jointing tape and corner joints, or if the final wall thickness does not suit we use a roll of tankin sheet - various on the market including Butec / Nicobond / Lux etc. I wouldn't skim finish plaster and I'm not sure I agree about the weight theory either, if the plaster skim is really flat and smooth (not many are !) then all it means is that it makes the tiling an easier job.

Summary - always tank / seal / board all wet areas without fail - Its better to spend £100 on tanking than £1000 on ripping it all out 6 months down the line.

You'd tile onto a bonding coat of plaster then?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England

as grumpy as said,would you tile onto browning or bonding,and if your plastering aint flat and smooth,he aint a plasterer:smilewinkgrin:

R

Richard Edwards

You'd tile onto a bonding coat of plaster then?

Hi Grumpygrouter

Certainly not - If I had it in my power, and I do not, I would effectively ban Bonding Coat Plaster from all Bathroom installations - When I said Scratch Coat - I'm talking about cement render scratch coat -
Sorry if I did not make my self clear earlier in this post.

Here is an image to illustrate what I couldn't put over well

Oakley - McGrath Wet Room with Nat Stone Mosaics 011En-Comp.jpg

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Grumpygrouter

Certainly not - If I had it in my power, and I do not, I would effectively ban Bonding Coat Plaster from all Bathroom installations - When I said Scratch Coat - I'm talking about cement render scratch coat -
Sorry if I did not make my self clear earlier in this post.

Here is an image to illustrate what I couldn't put over well

View attachment 29891
Cheers, thanks for clarifying. :thumbsup:

R

Rjm

hi, just a question, im a plumber by trade, but can also tile and plaster, i know your not supposed to tile over bonding, so will always skim over any bonding, and tank the walls, but what is the actual reason for this, ? someone wrote on here is that skim coat is stronger than the bonding, which is false, bonding dries like cement and is much harder than skim, i always thought it was because the bonding would take the moisture out adhesive and wouldnt dry properly, but that was just me having an educated guess, judging it to how skim reacts over the bonding, i have asked tilers and some know not to do it but cant explain why, and other tilers seem to think its fine to tile ober bonding

R

Richard Edwards

To answer your question RJM, The issue with Bonding Coat is that it sucks up moisture like a sponge and when it does, it starts to break down into a gritty mush and eventually becomes like a soggy playdoe. Not good anywhere in the home and especially in a bathroom or wet room. So in these rooms we would never use it or approve its use.

No the other side of the coin --

If you were using a 'proper tanking membrane' that was a genuine waterproof barrier and if you a 'bonding coat' within the structure of the wall surface, you might take a chance if you ' had ' to use it as longer as it could never come in contact with water or absorb water / water vapour from the surrounding air / materials etc.

That said, if you use a cementous board as part of the tanking barrier then you could mount this directly to either a scratch coat in a conventional build or directly to a stud wall in place of wall boards or plaster boards so both the bonding coat and the finish plaster finish becomes obsolete and this saves you time and money and eliminates the one major issue associated with BC.
There are other methods of tanking and each has it place in the tilers armoury.

The question of bonding coat, [BC] taking the moisture out of the adhesive is partically true, but to be honest if your still using dispersion adhesives in a bathroom [ie premixed tubbed] then you are in the minority and most pro tilers have switched completely to cement based powders and hence these are infinately more suitable for wet / high moisture areas.

Attached an image to demonstrate what I mean.

Hope this helps Oakley - McGrath Wet Room with Nat Stone Mosaics 011En-Comp.jpg The grey board is a cementous tanking /construction board and the blue is a tanking sheet / cotton with PVC

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tanking a shower cubicle that has new plastered walls? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tanking a shower cubicle that has new plastered walls?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.