Discuss Tanking an outside "wall" underneath an aerating grid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

teo

Hello everyone.
First of all i don't know if its the right place to post it, but i will try to explain anyway.
I have to do some repairs after torrential rain.
Old house, cavity wall construction with old bricks and lime mortar.
Room is under ground level on 3 walls and last wall there are 3 windows, which are placed on top of a kind of "balcony"(sorry don't know the english word for that kind of stuff!) and 700mm away from those windows theres the concrete retaining walls around them; its basically an escape route trough the windows that goes outside.
Hope i pictured the place properly.
Problem is that with heavy rain, the space between retaining wall and windows (which is tiled now with what i think are terracotta tiles nearly an inch thick ,100*100mm square and very ancient) become like a swimming pool, and since the windows are timber, water is seeping before the "cill" going underneat the tiles and running down the cavity, filling it with water(the air brick underneath was like a tap...).
Good thing is that theres a drain in both corners of the "floor" but since the level isn't sloped toward them they are not working properly.
What i thought was a good idea, after carrying out tests of "seepage" etc etc was to rip old tiles up, take the existing level further down without damaging the drain pipe, and make the level properly, sloping towards the drains.
And here the question, i was thinking to tank it to make it waterproof so water doesnt run under the tiles, unable to reach the cavity.
Is "Mapelastic" the right product to do something like this?
I have used it for years to do balconies and terraces, but not sure if it will work for something that i think work like a swimming pool...
I also noticed theres another product called "mapelastic aquadefence" which seems to be like the mapegum, but i think its less hardwearing than the usual mapelastic.
What do you think about it?
Sorry for the long post, i think mapelastic is the only option but just wanted to see what everyone here think.
Thanks for reading.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tanking an outside "wall" underneath an aerating grid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, all I have just finished my wetroom and tanked all areas, to my understanding because this...
Replies
Views
Hi, all I have just finished my wetroom and tanked all areas, to my understanding because this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tanking an outside "wall" underneath an aerating grid
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.