Discuss Tanking an upstand shower tray in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

djr398

I'm attempting to tile a shower enclosure for the first time. I'm using an upstand shower tray; I've already recessed the tray so the upstand is flush with the wall (well, flush at the outer extremes - the corner isn't square so the upstand is actually indented by a few mm in the corner but I presume that's pretty normal since rooms are rarely square). I'm using a BAL Waterproofing kit;

To seal the gap between the shower tray upstand and the wall, am I correct in thinking I should paint the tray upstand and the wall edge with the WP1 paint, then apply the polyester tape across the join, then apply another coat of WP1 over the top?

How would you deal with the corner where the upstand isn't flush with the wall, its indented into the wall by a few mm? Would you wrap the tanking tape around the underside of the wall and down the upstand? When I tile over the upstand in the corner, there will be a gap between the tile and the upstand. I presume I just squirt silicone sealant in to fill that gap?

The upstand itself is about 20mm high. Would you apply the WP1 paint/tanking tape to about 10mm down the upstand? Am I correct in saying that when I tile over the upstand, I just cut the tile so there is about a 2mm gap between the tile and the horizontal part of the tray - with that 2mm gap being filled with silicone sealant?

Thanks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tanking an upstand shower tray in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB