UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tanking help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rsmith

Hello All,

I feel kinda dumb asking this question, but better safe that sorry.I am in the process of tanking a shower cubicle, the walls have been skimmed and aloud to dry over 2 weeks and are clean, the shower tray in already installed so tanking is next.

I had a search around but could not find an answer, i am about to use the PCI Lastogum X tanking kit, i am using the tap provided for corner joint but my question is do i need to use the this tape where the wall meets the top of the show tray? the tape is 100mm wide, 60mm of that is the waterproof membrane.

My worry is if i apply the tape to the joint between the wall and the top of the tray is that it will protrude to much out under the tile when it is applied.
This is the area i am tanking,
31d941f8.jpg

a1d86b98.jpg

Does this make sense? What do other people do here.

Thanks in advance

Robbie

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi mate and welcome to the forum. I'm like mike with similar idea. What I do is silicon the tray to plaster joint and allow to set then put masking tape around the shower tray leaving the thickness of a tile showing, then put paper or plastic masked to the tray to keep clean. Prime the walls if your tanking kit requires you to. Paint the corners with the tanking, put on the tape and paint over to seal. If the tape has an edge to it that is not waterproofing then cut it off. Paint the bottom corner joint with tanking and just onto the masking tape, put the tape on so your cut edge is level with the masking tape edge (you should see the edge under the tanking youv'e just painted on) and paint over to seal, then paint all the walls as required. When you have tiled and grouted, carefully cut along where the tiles meet the tray, remove masking and excess tanking and silicon to give you a lovely sealed tray joint. Hope this helps...good luck.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
I use the lastogum kit a lot, and it can be done in two ways, As PT has mentioned above, just cut off the "fabric" part of the tape on one side for the tray.
This will provide a seal of 8-12mm wide between wall and tray. Not enough at this critical point in my opinion.Should the tray sink, say 5mm, this will put a lot of strain on this point.

What I prefer to do,(although this needs to be done before the tray is fitted) is to tank the walls first, continue the tanking paste down the walls at least 50mm past the top of the tray. Then re/fit the tray, leaving a small gap between wall and tray. Fill this gap with silicone to the top of tray and smooth off. You will find that the silicone will stick very well to the tanking paste, much better than to a dusty skimmed wall. You now have a 50mm+ vertical seal, which is the direction the tray will most likely move. You don't realise how strong this is until you have to remove one in a few years time.
If you are lucky and good with a float you can do this with the tray fitted, as long as there is a reasonable gap for the float to fit down

A few points to note
Remember to use the supplied primer g first
A lot of trays come with a protective clear plastic film, make sure to remove this where you are going to silicone to

Andrew

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tanking help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.