UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tanking! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tweakyboy

Just boarding my shower area at the moment with hardibacker 500 and I'm after a little information.

I'm planning to mastic the tray to the walls, but when tanking do I tape between the shower tray and the wall, then tank over that? Or just tank the wall and just leave the mastic on the back of the tray as the initial seal?

Also for filling the small gaps where the boards meet do I have to fill those with some of the adhesive I'm going to use to tile?

I'm going to use BAL WP1 as the tanking kit.

Thanks in advance :smilewinkgrin:

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

if you sillcon your tray to the wall with plenty of sillcon then when dry cut of exess. now sillcon again and do the corners to. now lay your first tiles in to sillcon now grout your tiles when dry sillcon again now you have three barries to stop water ingrees your most inportant tanking system is the tile and grout i would use grout 3000 this method will never fail

P

PHG Dave

I wouldn't of said it was really necessary to tank hardiebacker as it's water resistant.

However, i've just applied WPC (ardex) to a wetroom i've boarded out with 12mm hardie. But more for piece of mind rather than it being necessary.

Yes Hardibacker board is water resistant but that does not mean that it stops water soaking through it, just that the water will not be detrimental to the board.
I would always suggest putting a waterproof barrier on top of the Hardi backers

T

tweakyboy

Thanks for the replies, so just to confirm I use the tape in the WP1 kit and then use the tanking coating on the tray put the tape on and then tanking coat on top.

I guess it would be best to mask off the other areas of the tray to stop it splashing over it!

Still going to mastic the tray in place creating a nice seal between the hardibacker and tray. Will post some pictures in the next week so.

Thanks for the replies

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tanking! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.