Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Techniques For Tiling Housing Association Homes Fast in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

massimo osti

Hello all iv just recently completed 3 week tiling at able skills and I'm now on a building site tiling housing association houses iv been told just to get it level which I am but its taking along time also to make things worse it 6 inch tiles and the floor is vinyl with vinyl trim 100mm up the wall and it tucks underneath the first row of tiles so I can't use any batten also iv layed out all the tiles on the walls with good cutts ever sides. Now iv been a labourer on a lot of sites and iv always noticed that the tilers who can go really fast have a certain way of doing it they put a full tile at the edge of some walls I'm guessing to save time on cuts could any one share this nolege with me it would be most appreciated regards massimo

I

Italy

Hello all iv just recently completed 3 week tiling at able skills and I'm now on a building site tiling housing association houses iv been told just to get it level which I am but its taking along time also to make things worse it 6 inch tiles and the floor is vinyl with vinyl trim 100mm up the wall and it tucks underneath the first row of tiles so I can't use any batten also iv layed out all the tiles on the walls with good cutts ever sides. Now iv been a labourer on a lot of sites and iv always noticed that the tilers who can go really fast have a certain way of doing it they put a full tile at the edge of some walls I'm guessing to save time on cuts could any one share this nolege with me it would be most appreciated regards massimo
buonasera,
ouch!!
still a Italian ;)
@JulianSidney

S

Stef

Hi, if your tiling from a Wetroom trim like you state then strike a datum line for the trim & use small ring shank nails to hold it in place & tile up from it like your using a batten.

Massimo Osti?? I wear a lot of your clothes?

M

Meddler

What is it with these sites you always get the people that are quick to criticise and gloat without giving any helpful comments. If your going to comment why not be positive and give some help – unless of course you don’t know. The chaps done the course, got off his arse and got a job and now seeks some friendly advice. Well done and congrats to Stef for taking the time to give some advice.

If tradesmen are worth their salt they shouldn’t be afraid of newcomers. A good honest job speaks for itself with customer referrals and repeat business.

This guy has not walked into a clients house and advertised himself as a tiler. In my opinion, the perfect type of job to build from.
The last site job in the UK i did, the chippy did the tiling for all the houses. They gave a better rate to the council and used the tile boxes as spacers.
It worked out well as the tiles were not uniform throughout so any shim or wedge that was available on site became a spacer.
The QC guy was more interested in being able to push the second fix through.
Not a great learning curve however for speed tiling in this game, setting out doesnt matter like it would do to a full bathroom. fix them, make the SM happy with the daily progress and you will get paid.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Can't see nowt wrong with that advice.
If he did work with another tiler for a bit he would learn the tricks of the trade. You would learn more in one week than you would on any course.
Not trying to shoot him down but speed comes with experience......best way to get that is to watch someone experienced doing it .:)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
To be quick you need to be efficient..
Load rooms out ready so tiles are unpacked and ready to go. Have tools to hand. Rubbish bucket for off cuts. and to nibible tiles into . Use a non slip adhesive to do away with battens.
As for taking full tiles off corners ...depends on how level the corner is ...are you going to end up with slithers elsewhere....are you going to get pulled by the site agent....working out rooms will come with experience...you need to learn to get the balance right.

I

Italy

To be quick you need to be efficient..
Load rooms out ready so tiles are unpacked and ready to go. Have tools to hand. Rubbish bucket for off cuts. and to nibible tiles into . Use a non slip adhesive to do away with battens.
As for taking full tiles off corners ...depends on how level the corner is ...are you going to end up with slithers elsewhere....are you going to get pulled by the site agent....working out rooms will come with experience...you need to learn to get the balance right.
You forgot. of andysday ;)

Reply to Techniques For Tiling Housing Association Homes Fast in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello, I assumed I could tile onto marine plywood and my tiles fell off ... I'm tiling on a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond