UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss the bossman in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

hi all,

ive been working for my old/new boss(tiling).doing 4/5 a week on site,i do pretty much everything he askes me to do,but all i get is negative feedback saying i left a plot in a mess or bits of grout was missing,i have'nt been tiling long but id like to think i leave a plot tidy and if ive missed any grout i didnt do it on purpose.i never get:well done,good job.do u think hes got a chip on his shoulder?

S

Spud

some peeps are by there nature negative ,there is a way to talk to peeps that a few negative peeps could do with learning instead of keep putting other's down, you should do your best to try not to let him have anything he can pick-you up on, then move away from him when you get the chance........chinn-up and good luck
its not putting someone down pointing out they have missed some grout,the boss has done the lad a favour giving him a job and its not going to do PY any favours pretending that his work is okay if it isnt how is the lad ever going to learn if he is not told what faults to look out for
my tip for you Py is buy a builders bin and put your cutting machine on top of it when you make any mess put it straight into the bin and you will work alot tidier stack your off cuts near by and use these when you can and only throw away your wasted cuts at the end of each plot this way you will get your wastage to a minimum, save your empty buckets and only bring the tools into the plot you need and you wont have stuff spread all over the plot ,grout is normally missed under or around sockets so double check this before you leave take photos when you leave the plot so no one else can blame you for their mess

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
As Alan Sugar says "take is a compliment when the time comes that you don't get told off (he didn't say told off, he swore) but never expect praise from me if I'm paying you".

I think on site you have to have the banter with the other people, especially if you're all there a while. But you need to keep getting through the work still. You all do.

Snag lists are a pain in the backside. The site manager gets it off the customers, the site manager gives it to the contractors, the contractors give it to the guys who caused the snag. Everybody's annoyed with them all down the line and it's normally the workers who work through that list so they're the last ones to get it in the neck.

I never used to like sitework much. What little I've ever done has been nearly always privately for the customer but while the site in general is still in operation. So had to follow some of the crazy methods and rules of the site and safety etc, but never had a foreman breathing down my neck. Still didn't like it much though I felt like my tools were being watched permanently.

D

Daveshadowman

I do alot of site work,(I have done site work from both sides of the fence manager and tiler) your boss will be getting it in neck from the site agent when you have finished a plot sweep it out make sure you have cleaned the tops etc (one spacer on the floor is a mess to a site agent) double check the plot grouting etc if you are making an effort the agent will see this and lay off a bit.

If it were me I'd take onboard whatever the moans are, and make sure I'm not told off more than once for the same thing - no matter how big or small.

So even if its 1 spacer left on the floor, empty tile box left out instead of binned, a tiny bit of group missed, messy workshops - anything really..

Double double check everything before you move onto the next plot and make sure he doesn't have to tell you anything more than once..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to the bossman in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.