Discuss The first of many questions! Hopefully not daft ones! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cozyman

Hi Everyone.

New to the forum, but have spent hours pouring over various posts, and I can't get over how friendly everyone seems to be!

I have just started on stripping my bathroom to re fit with new suite, walk in shower and fully tiled walls and floor.

Although I consider myself to be a quite competent DIY'er (perhaps the most dangerous sort I hear you say) not done much in the tiling vein before (fitted kitchens which are still all working and such).

I've got loads of questions, but if I put them all here the mods would have a nightmare moving this to the various forums, so I'll keep the first one simple (ish), then it can perhaps in time be moved to the tanking one.....

One wall where the walk in shower will be going (1700mm wide) I have striped back to bare breeze block (40 year old house). This was because the render/plaster was anything but level.

I am undecided between render the wall or dot dab plasterboard. The wall is roughly 2400mm high, 2600m wide.

I want to idealy lose as little depth as possible (currently the door frame is around 25m from the bare wall) and would fancy having a go at rendering, happy in the knowledge that the finish doesnt have to be "plaster" like as will be tiling on it....

But think plasterboard will be simpler. If I go this route would be looking at tanking when finished.

So....

Dot/Dab plasterboard and tank (If tanking, is there any point using moistureboard as well or would 12.5mm plasterboard be fine)

Render with say 4-1 sand cement mix (Read a very good info thread on getting it level using the splat some render on the wall and fix some sections of wood in for a screed and level from there type of thing)

The tiles are 8mm ceramic 400 x 250.

If you've got this far, thanks very much for your patience!!

W

White Room

That will fine but don't skimp on the dabs of adhesive..even if your using 6x3 board (which are easier to handle)....you will want 3 lines of adhesive on the vertical, one row each to the edge of the board about 25mm away from the edge and one centre of the board aswell with a gap of about 50mm between each dab.

A couple of dabs at the top of the board and a solid bed along the bottom of the board aswell.

4-5m2 per metres per bag at 25kg

C

Cozyman

Cheers kilty55..

That's pretty much that wall sorted then, just three more to cover and the floor!

Second wall is stud wall which I've had to strengthen. I had to drag back a section of it to make the bathroom a square and lose a little of the landing. I wasnt happy with the amount of movement, so ripped the plasterboard off the inside and found there was only one noggin between each vertical (about 35-40cm centres). I've now put in noggins every 25cm vertical to try strengthen it. Intention was to cover in 12.5 plasterboard and tank (one side of the corner bath will butt against this wall).

Does this sound reasonable?

Unfortunately before I read enough about all the different adhesives etc (I had the wife on my back to get everything ordered) I bought with the tiles couple of tubs of Bostik Showerproof...Now know better, and was thinging of a bagged single part flexible for these two walls, probably Mapei (seems liked on here and cheaper than BAL equivilant).

Anyone fancy some Bostik Showerproof going cheap??????????

Reply to The first of many questions! Hopefully not daft ones! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
The first of many questions! Hopefully not daft ones!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.