UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss the quality factor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
This is where you need to learn to sell yourself at the stage of measuring up and suggesting improvements and explaining what you can do. But don't bull-rubbish them. Although you may need to bluff something if they're talking the talk - you don't want to look silly - in that case you'd want to be writing things down they're saying and then come here and we'll put you right so you can post out an estimate with all the babble in it.

Realistically as a tiler you do have much to talk about on every job as you can explain options normally as in what products to use, what you'd use on your own home etc.

Sales techniques come into play a bit. When talking to a customer never say THE bathroom, always YOUR bathroom. It is a job for you and it is their bathroom they get done evey 20 years (or so) but you don't need to come across like that.

Some lads on here go round with photo's of their work, one has a DVD! (also on youtube - excellent niche!), never say you can start next week, even if you can. Say a few weeks at least and then call "as you've had a cancellation".

Always talk asif it is your own kitchen, bathroom, conservatory and treat it with respect. Don't get pulling bits off that are loose and saying "oh, that'll need doing" "and that" "and this" because they may have not noticed how bad it was and it's hard to convince them that it is as shoddy as it might be, they've put up with it for some time no that way no doubt.

Always try and get feel for your customer. A guy renting out his house wont want bespoke this and recessed that. So say to him things like, we'll we can do this and then save a little... etc. But somebody with a ferrari on the drive will want to know what he/she can have that is unique, so don't get saying to them the things you'd say to the Landlord.

Always smile. I know it's dodgy if you don't smile all the time but a customer wants to know they're a decent person, as they're trusting you with something they don't understand. How many mechanics do we knock when they come back with a high price and a glum face? (or I do anyway lol) yet if they come across as if it is not a problem and show they have tried to save me a couple of quid then it is only the price I'm concerned about now, and not just the whole experience... although I would have said to my mate in the pub it was due to the price in the first scenario..... it's just subliminal or something lol.

I've been on a fair few sales training courses (amongst others) and all of them always are based around interaction and getting you out of your shell so to speak. If you just generally seem like a happy bouncy person that knows their stuff and doesn't mess about or come across cocky.... then you have no reason not to sell.

Something you want to work on long-term. You want to know your competition. So if you find out one person is saying they can do a deal on something or other if the customer has this this and this. Then try it out yourself. Or have a come-back for it that you state in your blurb when you're estimating to counter-balance you competitions offer without mentioning them or it.

Do your homework on product knowledge and your customer expectations and really work on those to a level equal to your brilliant tiling and you'll laugh when you get jobs for random reasons and never price.

Price should only be about 10% of the purchase reason. So you just need to go in there and find out what the other 90% is and play on that.

A perfect example......

MANY times you'll quote for a shower that has a leak. It is a big problem in all countries. It is the reason so many companies make tanking and wetroom type solutions.

So when you go in, and you see mouldy grout or dodgy bottom row tiles you should strait away be telling them why it has happened and how you will stop it from happening again. Let the next tiler not mention that and see if he gets the job. ;)
----
A few searches your want to be familiar with perhaps:-

sales techniques - Google Search - http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GEUA,GEUA:2006-20,GEUA:en&q=sales+techniques
how to sell yourself - Google Search - http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=GEUA%2CGEUA%3A2006-20%2CGEUA%3Aen&q=how+to+sell+yourself&meta=[DLMURL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FISH!_Philosophy[/DLMURL]http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...um=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=FISH+philosophy&spell=1 lol

Last edited:
in your quote include adhesive, grout, trim and plywood if needed, if removing tiles put extras if needed like making walls sutable for tiling with a price. then at the end underlined NO HIDDEN EXTRAS we stick to our quotes
you cannot legally up a quote....if you are quoting and not estimating, make sure you allow enough for unseen problems.

I recently estimated for a job in a kitchen, when the paper came off the plasterboard underneath was rotten, this cost an extra £250 to reboard, had I quoted I would have had to bear the cost myself (legally), some people will be happy to meet the extra cost, but some people know their legal rights...Mark.

P

penno

It is not always the case of the cheapest quote wins, of course with some customers it is but many it isn't. I have had loads of call backs "you are not the cheapest quote but we would like you to do the work for us".
You have to really sell yourself, talk away. Usually takes me about 15 minutes to even see a job they want doing. I go in and if the mum is there running after a small kid for example then its a "hard work kids, mine is about the same age etc etc" If they have a dog i will even get talking about that, makes the customer more comfortable with you.
If you just trudge in with a "hello" measure up and say "can do it for 300" the chances are you will not get the job. Before a price is even mentioned tell the customer everything that you can do and give them options.
If its a full bathroom then tell them little things they want to hear. Things like:
"what i will do is lay the wall tiles but leave the bottom row, lay the floor then insert the bottom tiles. It is a bit of messing about but it looks a lot nicer with the effect of the wall tiles sat on the floor"
"yeah i will take out the toilet and have a tile under neath rather than an ugly cut around it"
Makes you look professional and most importantly makes you look like you care about your work (which you should do anyway)
Chances are the next bloke who comes to quote doesn't even mention things like that so the customer has confidence in you, they know exacly what you are going to give them, the price will not even come into it unless the quote you give was stupid high.

And im poorly, day off cause "man flu" is killing me :)

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

you cannot legally up a quote....if you are quoting and not estimating, make sure you allow enough for unseen problems.

I recently estimated for a job in a kitchen, when the paper came off the plasterboard underneath was rotten, this cost an extra £250 to reboard, had I quoted I would have had to bear the cost myself (legally), some people will be happy to meet the extra cost, but some people know their legal rights...Mark.

This is all very well but you do get a lot of customers that will want extras/make changes ,then try to get the job for the original price !!........

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to the quality factor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
D
Hello, A recent property purchase as an investment in Florida. Home is 1-owner from new. I'm...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 60189
D
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.