UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss The selling circle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AMtek

Well before i get into the selling circle itself there are certain things you need to know in order to really understand the steps and fully utilise them, these are:

people make decisions emotionally. if i walk past a poster for the newest model of a car i may fall in love with it instantly and want to buy it, but of course i don't head down to the nearest showroom immediately and buy it before knowing anything else about it so i do some research, i find out how big the engine is, how fast it is etc. what im doing at this stage is logically justifying my decision to buy this car. the next fact is that everyone is egocentric so if i end up in the showroom and the salesman is telling me that my neighbour was just in there looking at the same car but he couldn't afford it and anyway i look much better in it than he did what he is really doing is persuading me that it is actually me that is good enough for the car rather than the car being good enough for me. The next step is value. Value is not a fixed number, it is relative. it is relative to how much you are willing to pay for this particular product, what the competition products sell for. therefore you must demonstrate that your product is equal to or of greater value than the price you are asking for it. therefore the salesman will persuade me that this particular car is better value than any of its competitors, it may be the same price or even slightly more expensive but he tells me that it is faster, or more exclusive etc. this convinces you that im spending my money wisely. if at this stage the salesman starts resorting to tactics such as knocking 30% off the list price if i agree to buy the car from him then and there he is no good at his job, if however he is polite, hands me a card and tells me to ring him if i would like another test drive this subconsciously tells me that he does not need to sell this car because people are cueing round the corner to buy it, this will make me want to make my decision quickly because if i don't someone else will buy it. so i agree to buy the car there and then. the next step the salesman should take is make me feel like im in control of the situation "when would you like to pick the car up?" "if you have any more questions please feel free to call me" this is to put my mind at ease that i have made the right decision and that he is only there to help me and he is not gaining from the transaction at all. Another benefit to the salesman is that he knows that if i'm happy with my purchase i will likely tell all of my friends where i bought the car and that salesman x who sold me the car is a lovely guy and make sure you go and see him!

other tips:
always talk to the lady of the house, it more likely that she would like to have the work done than the man of the house who only cares that there is a fridge to put his beer in. make a good impression with her and you are already half way there
if you need to take samples, marketing material etc into the house, don't take it all at once, this can be intimidating for the customer and make them think you are going to set up shop and be there all night
further from the tip above, even though neither you or the customer wants to be there all night the longer you spend in an appointment, the more likely you are to get a sale at the end of it

This is the selling circle:

1. Appearance
there are two schools of thought when it comes to how you should be dressed when going to do a quotation for a potential customer: suited and booted shows that you are very professional and you wan't to make a good impression to a potential client but this can have the drawback that you can give the impression that you are just there to take their money and they may not realise that you are a professional tiler and you spend the vast majority of your day on the tools actually fitting the products that you are trying to sell them. But then turning up to do a quotation in the clothes that you have been working in all day could show that your services are so in demand that you have not even had time to change, but on the other hand they could think that you care so little about gaining their business that you have made no effort at all and so may treat the fitting of their new tiles etc. with the same degree of attention to detail.

2. Mental preparation
The most important step in mentally preparing to sell to a customer is to forget your family or work worries and leave them in the van. if you are stressed or worried this will rub off onto the customer and they will begin to mirror your stress and worry making it almost impossible to sell to them. Sales is also a numbers game. on average you should be selling a minimum of 1 in every 3 pitches that you do so if you leave a house without a sale remember that you may not get a deal from your next appointment either but on average you will sell the 3rd so pick yourself up after a "missed pitch" move on and believe that you will sell the next. a lot of being able to do this comes down to repetition, the more times you have 3 appointments and sell a minimum of 1 of them the more it will become ingrained that you WILL sell 1 in 3 and you will not mind not getting a sale on every appointment. But saying that 1 in 3 is an average, you might have 4 pitches and not have a sale but then on your next 2 appointments you will sell both. sales can be tough and you may struggle to start with but stick with it and you will sucseed!

3. Plan and prepare
as it says on the tin really, make sure you have a tape measure, writing materials, calculator, contracts, samples and marketing literature etc that you will need and make sure you know where exactly the property is so you can be punctual!

4. Break the ice
This is the most important step in the whole process! people don't buy solely based on price or quality, people buy people. What i mean by this is that if the customer likes and trusts you as a person they are 100x more likely to ask you to carry out the work for them, even if you are not the cheapest comparable quote. To do this be polite and courteous, make sure the customer knows your first name, take your shoes off at the front door without being asked, if offered a coffee always accept even if you don't really want one, ask good, "open ended" questions e.g. ask why they were thinking of having the work done (cracket tiles, changing fashion) and listen closely and seem interested in the answer, open ended questions force the customer into a conversation with you and they will begin to relax. make sure you are listening more than talking, find common ground this could be family, pets, favourite football team and spend as long as you can talking about the things you have in common, this develops the bond between you and the customer.

5. Measure and design
Find out exactly what the customer is looking for and write it down so that every aspect is covered in the next step. at this stage you can start to build the desire, try and get the customer to imagine how good the finished product will look and how people visiting the property will be impressed by their new tiles, kitchen, bathroom etc. if the customer has mentioned something that they particularly want (their "hot spot"), refer back to this as mch as possible during the course of the demonstration. involve the customer in the process, ask them to hold the end of the tape measure for you, ask them to show you where they would like the shower tray and get them to stand in the place so they can imagine standing in their newly installed shower, ask them if they will have enough room etc. make sure they know that you want the finished product to be perfect for them. after the details have been finalised recap them and make sure everything is correct. If possible relate what they are looking for to another customer in the area, people are reassured if they know that someone else has had a similar job done by you. especially if you have before and after pictures of the work and a letter of recomendation. and if you can arrange for them to go and see a job you have done for another customer you should get a call very soon after to say they would like to go ahead with the work

6. Company and product demonstration
This is where you set yourself apart from the competition. perform a short introduction to the company, how long you have been trading, where you are based, what experience you have in the industry, what qualifications you have, tell them you are insured and show them proof, tell them about the guarantee you offer, tell them about other services you offer apart from the particular one they are interested in at that time, tell them about how you will perform the work for them and why you do it in this way from preparation to finish but unless they ask don't get too technical as they will quickly get bored and switch off

A

AMtek

7. Price up
At this stage the customer should be suitably excited by the prospect of their new installation and if priced correctly there is a deal to be done. take your time and make sure the price is correct. never tell the customer the price instead write the price on some letter headed paper, a business card or anything else with your contact details on it. before issuing the price summarise exactly what the quote is for and make sure to mention the "hot spot" again then hand them the price. When you give the customer the price hand them the price and don't say anything, the first person to talk loses and a lot of the time you will get a simple "yeah go on then we'll have it at that price" or "thats too expensive" if you get the "go on then" reply its almost job done, but if its a "no" it doesn't mean its game over, if there is any flexibility in the price you could do a small discount to try and do the deal, if not try and find what the customers budget is and suggest cheaper materials, perform the work in stages if possible or failing these steps thank the customer for their time and leave with dignity. you never know you might get a call in a couple of days to say they have thought about it and they would like to go ahead

8. Consolidate
If the deal is done, don't get a signature on the contract and rush out of the house, take your time, finish your coffee, carry on talking about the thing you both had in common, tell them what will happen next and when you expect this to be eg. when the work will start, when they will receive a copy of the warranty etc. this step ensures the customer doesn't get cold feet after you leave.

9. Follow up
Although this isn't part of the selling circle it is just as important, it will insure repeat business from the customer and referals for work from other customers. Make sure that everything that was agreed is carried out as promised, if the customer has any queeries make sure they are dealt with as soon as possible, if an agreed date is set for commencement of works this should be adhered to and if for any reason this cannot happen the customer must be informed as soon as possible and a new date set

In addition to the information in step 5 if the answer is a no there are a number of closes that can be used to try and seal a deal, but beware if you are too agressive or pushy when using them it is just about the quickest way to lose a potential customer! when performing the closing techniques the best way to utilise them is by making a joke out of them and timing them correctly. these are some of the closes i have used in the past:

Basic close
The most often used and worst close that can be used is "would you like to go ahead" because more often than not the answer will be no, simply because they have every opportunity to say so.

sharp angle close
if the customer asks "can you do a discount for cash" this is a huge buying signal and the answer should be "i can knock you £*** off if i can book you in to have the work done"

Alternative close
paying thousands of pounds for a new kitchen or bathroom is a big decision that most people do not like to make, so instead of asking the customer if they are going to place the order, break it down into smaller questions "how would you like to pay the deposit?" or "would you like the work done in 3 weeks or 4?" these questions lead the customer to agreeing to the bigger question of "are you going to place the order?" but in smaller steps

Why?
This can be a very powerfull close if used correctly, if the customer says "no" for example "i can't go ahead with the work yet" "WHY?" "im not in a position at the moment" "WHY?" "i can't afford it" you can then go into a sharp angle close "what if i could find a way to make it more affordable for you would you have the work done" most of the time the potential customer will say "yes" to this so now its up to you to find a way for them to afford it (cheaper tiles etc)

Y close
This is a close to overcome the objection of getting other quotes. it goes like this: "i would like to get other quotes" "before i got here tonight you didn't really know much about what the job you are proposing involved, im sure you will agree that now you know a lot more than you did before. you could go and get another quote but you could end up with (list some problems that could occur if the job isn't done correctly), and you don't wan't that now do you?" "no" "well if you place an order with me you would get (re-list all of the benefits of using you), so what will it be, rubbish or quality?"

Mafia close
A common objection is that the customer needs to think about the quote before they make their decision, so make them an offer they can't refuse (try ank keep something up your sleeve to sweeten the deal)

The negative yes
Another close to use if the customer would like other quotes: "thats great some of my best customers have gone away, got other quotes and come back to me to have work done. How many quotes will you get?" "three" "does that include mine?" "yes" "there are 379 companies in this area alone that do the same sort of work we do, how will you choose which ones to get a quote from? i believe there are 3 things you need to consider when buying anything. They are 1. a reputable company 2. a quality product 3. a price to suit your budget. there is no point in having the best bathroom in the street if you have to look at it by candle light because you cant afford to pay for it! do you agree with me?" "yes" "so is there a problem with the company?" "no" "is there a problem with the quality ?" "no" "is there a problem with the price?" "no". if all answers are no use the basic close and do the deal. if any of the answers are yes, use the sharp angle

Can't afford it close
If the customer says they can't afford it ask them if they think its because the quality of your work is too good for them. people don't like to be told something is too good for them

More on quotations:
A price written on a card or letter headed paper (unless you get the sale on the night) is not good enough on its own to get some sales, the poptental customer may have every intention of phoning you in a couple of days to go ahead with the quote but then throw the card in a drawer and forget about it for 6 months untill he remembers. The best way to avoid this is to post out another copy of the quotation on headed paper. In the quotation put down as much detail as you can regarding how the work will be completed eg. what prep work you will carry out and why this is important, which adhesive you will use and why etc. this should have all been covered in some form while you were talking to the customer in their home, but in a written quotation i don't think there is such a thing as too much detail, they will be impressed that you took the time to explain it more thoroughly for them even if they don't really understand it. typing these quotes up is time consuming at first but they can be saved as templates for each situation so the more quotes you send out the more templates you have saved and all you need to do then is alter details such as customers name and address, tile choice, grout colour, price etc and it is ready to be printed and sent. Don't just send the quote out and wait for a phone call though, if after a week you havn't heard from the customer give the customer a ring to check that they received the quote ok and if they have made a decision as to whether they would like to go ahead with it or not. if the answer is no or they havn't had time to think about it yet (these two replies usually mean they are not going ahead for whatever reason) then simply politely let them know that they can phone you if they would like to go ahead in the future (the "we havn't decided yet" customers can be phoned back after a couple of months if you want to do this).

A

AMtek

Just read it all again, love it. (And have liked it. haha)

Give us a couple of examples of Mafia closes if you wouldn't mind. I was gutted to not see an example like in the others as it sounded the best. :thumbsup:

Glad you like it! an example of the mafia close could be: you can tell the customer is close to agreeing to have the work done so you say something like "tell you what, if if you go ahead i will throw the wall tiles in for free" you obviously have to over price your original quotation to have the wriggle room to be able to discount down (but don't go crazy with 30% discounts or the customer will see right through it) but it does work. everyone likes to feel like they are getting something for nothing. even if they agee to your original quotation and you have put 10% on top incase you need something up your sleeve to get a deal you have either made an extra 10% on the job or you can throw any extras they ask you for while still doing the job in for free.

Another tip which helps to get jobs booked in is to add 15% on top of the price you need to charge to do the job, give them this price and wait for a reaction, if they say its too expensive tell them you can knock the price down (by 15%) if you can fit their job in between two other jobs you have coming up but you have been unable to fill this slot yet and it just so happens that their job will take 5 days and thats the slot that is still available. its a bit underhand and sly but it does work

the sharp angle is y favourite close, its a lot more flexible than the others imo

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to The selling circle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.