UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss The Tiletracker in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Went to Ideal Home show yesterday. One of the official stage demos was this guy promoting some tiling tools.

The tiletracker looks excellent but at £160 way, way too expensive. I intend to make up something similar which would do the same thing unless anyone knows of a similar product at reasonable price?
As part of a package, although not on their website, they do a window recess tool which looks the business, its basically a 1m long plastic '+' profile which although flexible, will return to it's original straight edges and would really help with setting perfect level reveals.
Anyone used it or a similar product??

D

Daz

I'm sorry Aflemi, but are you having a laugh?

Taking out the fact that the video is to demonstrate his glorified batten stands, he is dot & dabbing the travertine & he is advising that you use a "hook" to pull tiles away from the wall to keep them plumb. What about ensuring 100% adhesive contact behind the tiles?

I'm not surprised that B&Q think these are good products, but a professional tiler????

Unless I've missed something, I don't feel that this is something we should be giving any credit to.

G

grumpygrouter

Taking out the fact that the video is to demonstrate his glorified batten stands, he is dot & dabbing the travertine & he is advising that you use a "hook" to pull tiles away from the wall to keep them plumb. What about ensuring 100% adhesive contact behind the tiles?

I'm not surprised that B&Q think these are good products, but a professional tiler????

Unless I've missed something, I don't feel that this is something we should be giving any credit to.
Snap Daz!!

aflemi

TF
Arms
Are u serious this is a sack of , spot fixing with stone

Don't get me started
I'm not looking for a critique of the tiling methods in his video, I haven't even seen it. I saw the products in the flesh yesterday and 2 of them looked good, 1 is way too expensive so i asked if anyone knew of a more reasonably priced alternative. The other looked a useful tool, the rest were rubbish. Chill.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Video makes me mad!

There are a few things like it, the rubi batten stands for one.

Not sure how a flexible straight edge would work!? :crazy:
Cheers for a constructive reply, thanks will look at that. The other product is quite hard to explain, basically it can twist a bit so easier to use than if it was rigid, but returns to straight edge. It looked good to me, just innocently wondered if anyone had used one or knew of an alternative. Tx Colour, btw I haven't even seen the video but that is irrelevant, it's the products i was asking about, didn't want to start WW3..............

C

Colour Republic

I don't personally use battens but the beatuy of a batten is that you can cut it to size, it's all very well showing a demo with a pre sized batten but what happens when you need to move it along? In his video he shows pictures of tiling that has slid down the wall 'overnight' as he puts it (sorry to bang on about D&D, but is he suprised?), so by his own addmission what are you ment to do with his battens? leave them overnight then move along to do a bit mopre tiling the next day?

This other tool you mention may well be quite good but then I don't hold much hope for someone who presents tiling in the way he does

Sorry mate

aflemi

TF
Arms

You missed the fact that I only asked about 2 products that I have seen in the flesh and they looked useful so I naturally thought I would ask the opinion of some other professional tilers who have used them or similar.
I didn't endorse his tiling demo in any way, I haven't even seen it tbh because i didn't need to.
Anyway, tx for input.

D

DHTiling

No point in shooting the OP for posting the video..?

He is just asking what you think of the product and not the way the tiles are fixed.. even i gathered that is what he asked,,:lol:

As for the video.. well the guy is a total plonk..

Aflemi.. as for the products,, IMO they are just gimmicks and others have tried to sell things similar and i would say they are well over priced and a waste of money..

aflemi

TF
Arms
Rubi stands look good and at £18 better than the £160 he wants for his one, I knew there would be something more reasonable.
Answer i wanted without the histrionics, cheers.
If all the people who replied without understanding the point of the post read the thread i started around the same time in the prep section about what he said about pva and grout not letting moisture through, you'll see what I thought of his Ideal Home Show presentation......... again, irrelevant to the point of the question.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I made a dodgy version of this once using a spirit level and bath feet (that are adjustable). I used it instead of battens on walls that were tanked and couldn't have nail or screw holes in them. The way I was managing to do it before this was to stack tiles to the height of the batten, place the batten on top, then stack more tiles so it stayed put (which it didn't) so out of the two ways I'd go about it, it was a god send to have for that specific application.

I also used it in kitchens where the worktop wasn't level and I was worried about swinging a hammer near expensive worktops in small corner areas. Especially when working Saturday (as often those small kitchens got squeezed in then) as my aim wasn't always the best after going out on a friday night!

Just my 2p.

I'd imagine if you had two small lengths, you could use a long straight edge between them to create a huge batten that's level and secure.

W

White Room

I use one of these
AccessoriesArt80TileSucker.gif

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to The Tiletracker in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi, New member and rookie homeowner from Australia here. I am in the middle of my first...
Replies
Views
Tamworth based Instarmac Group plc are delighted to have been officially named as a ‘Great Place...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.