Discuss The world is full of idiots trust me! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

A couple of months ago I completed a nice contract, of which this Portland Stone Staircase was part of. Wednesday I got a phone call from the carpet fitters, apparently the client had decided to have a runner on the staircase. You guessed it, they messed the installation up, and the staircase can only be discribed as looking like it has undergone heavy shelling from a nearby tank. It is now riddled with holes, all diff sizes, because the fitters went a bit stir crazy with the drill.

If I had messed up someone elses work, Id feel terrible, but not this lot. This is how the conversation went.

Hello is that Lynn?

Yes

Its Tony from XXXXX XXXXXXX Ltd, were down XXXXXXXXXX and we messed your staircase up a bit with the drilling. I dont know what the fuss is about cos we said we would put some filler in the holes but the architect has insisted we call you in to do this. So how much will it cost us?

How much damage have you done?

Not a lot, its probably a 10 min job so if you can pop in and do it fine, but I need to know how much its going to cost.

I cant tell you how much it will cost till Ive seen it.

Well bring your stuff down tomorrow and get it sorted! if you cant do that let me speak to your boss.

(Ok now Ive got the raving hump, hes messed up my staircase, and is giving me attitude the meter is running so to speak):mad2::mad2:

I'll get someone down there tomorrow to have a look and I'll let you know.

Listen luv that aint good enough, let me have word with someone in charge.

(That does it, hes asking for it)

Get stuffed I said and put the phone down...

The architect rang me 30 mins later....I sent someone out to look at the damage, and because its the carpet fitters that will have to pay I charged them for the estimate :yikes:. Ive done the making good, and they are paying premium for it. They basically have knackered the staircase up, Ive patched it up as best I can, but I can see it being all ripped out and re-installed. Im fuming, they effectively have ruined something I was proud of.

RIP my staircase

Belg 08.jpg

D

david campbell

one question....well 2 why did they want i carpet to cover part of what looks like a beautiful staircase? and why were the carpet fitters drilling?

chris
brass/chrome stair rod thingies!
i hate it when people have no respect for other peoples work,they seem to not give a damn about how much work and effort another tradesman has put into leaving a perfect job,usually from some half-assed clown who has no respect even for his own work

C

CJ CERAMICS

brass/chrome stair rod thingies!
i hate it when people have no respect for other peoples work,they seem to not give a damn about how much work and effort another tradesman has put into leaving a perfect job,usually from some half-assed clown who has no respect even for his own work

ah i see now.......but when i was carpet fitting we used to attach the brackets for the stair rods with a glue designed to cemet them in with no glue showing and feed the rods in when set Sorry but i cant rember what the glue is called as its about 25 yrs ago but i do remember doing this. They could also remove them with a solution that ate the glue but not the stone.

now obviously times and methods change but sometimes not for the better.

chris

C

Colour Republic

This has reminded me of a job I did a few years back, I was fitting a bathroom and the waste run had to go through part of the hallway. It was an old Voctorian mansion building in Brighton, which would have been one house at one point, so I lift the floor boards in the hall to find not one but two treasures. All of the original beautiful brass stair rods where piled up under the floor, I removed these to find underneath the earliest form of electrical trunking i've ever come across. The trunking was wooden but the lid to the trunking wasn't just some bit of planed wood it had intricate carvings running the length of it, bearing in mind this is installed under the floor which nobody is every going to see! they don't make them like they use to.

R

Rob Z

Lynn, that's fine work there that your company did. Normally, I would never try to take advantage of another contractor's problems and would/will do the work at a reasonable price because I know I might need a favor someday.

But with these knuckleheads and their attitude-I'd make them feel like Ned Beatty and I'd hammer them hard with the bill. Paid in full, well in advance. And I'd get to it on my own sweet schedule.

S

SandyFloor

Lynn, that's fine work there that your company did. Normally, I would never try to take advantage of another contractor's problems and would/will do the work at a reasonable price because I know I might need a favor someday.

But with these knuckleheads and their attitude-I'd make them feel like Ned Beatty and I'd hammer them hard with the bill. Paid in full, well in advance. And I'd get to it on my own sweet schedule.

I take it you're refering to Deliverance, Rob? :dizzy2:

Reply to The world is full of idiots trust me! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
The world is full of idiots trust me!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.