UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss There are some real dopey 'tilers' out there. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

That job I went to see on behalf of another Tiling company already had about 8 tilers on site when I arrived. They were fixing 600x300 ceramic onto plasterboard and 600x300 porcs onto the concrete floors and also onto 18mm WBP. They were having problems with the ply areas, the tiles were not fixing properly and were falling off in many of the apartments. The foreman was blaming the tiles, then the adhesive and finally the PVA........... seeing as he was in charge of level 5 I left him to it and wandered up to have a look at level 6. Shocked would be an understatement, the tiles were all over the place, 10mm gaps in the corners, all corners were grouted. One wall in a shower area would start with a full 600 tile then a 200 cut and its opposite partner wall was centered with 400 cuts.
The trims were all short, there were shadows and drops everywhere. It was disgraceful tiling.
I approached the foreman and asked him about it and when would the snagging be carried out?
His answer was "what snagging, its all fine?" He then said that they had solved the problem of the porcelain and the ply and they would now be using bal white star which has been specifically manufactured for his problem..........:santa_smiley:
No amount of explaining his fast approaching disaster zone seemed to sink in.........he insisted that SBR was watered down PVA and that he was right. 4 days later and all the tiles are still moving, he and all the other lads seemed to think this was fine, "the grout will sort em out" was the standard consensus.

Anyway after posting the job I managed to get Bob (Finlay) and his son James to come down and also Stevie (sgd tiling), Stevie brought big Shep (John Shepard), Jock and Collin with him. We also had Giergi and Serge, (Bulgarian and Russian respectively) and started level 4. It soon became apparent that I had pro fixers on site and it quickly came to the notice of the project manager and his 6 or 7 site engineers.
Level 4 was being tiled far quicker and with a much superior finish to the other levels. We had no lippage, we had close cut tiles in the wet areas, our grout lines were all as per the drawings, in other words we were doing what we do best and it was showing. The drawings for level 7 were quickly presented to me as was level 2 which totals some 100 apartments.
The 'tilers' above us were thinned out and all of them will be off site by next Friday after they have fixed their shoddy work. They all shunned the advice that I tried to give them, they all insisted that 'Mick' knew best and that I was a loud mouthed newcomer. It seems strange then that the "gobby newcomer" and all his forum guys are to finish all the tiling including the 1000 mts of basalt and all the walkways.

This forum works when its used to its best capabilities and it sure has some great people on it. So a big thanks to all that travelled from Preston and Scotland to show off what tiling is about. Urban Splash are duly impressed with what they have seen on level 4 and after a long chat with their project manager I feel I can safely say that the forum members will be bumping into each other again (not you Joe) in the near future.

:8::8:

D

diamondtiling

Thats the third post today about this Joe? Whats the score Dom? Dont you like him or something?

I dont like nor dislike him mate, I feel sorry for him really, he turned up on the job after promising the earth over the phone. He could do this and could do that, he had done this and had done that. He was qualified to do six different trades and was highly regarded and sought after by many firms. He made sure that any person that came within 10 feet of him was quickly made aware of all the facts that I have just explained. (are you getting a mental picture?)

When he brought in all his shiny new tools I got a slight drooping feeling and my spider senses were on full alert as we are on a 250 man site with overhead cranes, hot works etc.
I then had one of the Scottish tilers tell me that Joe had offered to labour for them?? WHY???
He then disappeared off site without a word leaving me to have to check with security and also to check he was not lying down a bloody hole somewhere after taking a fall.
I then get messages slating the job and then later telling me had forgot that he had an interview?
he had forgot that all his tools were 240v and he had also forget that he had no funds for digs etc? Joe was chancing his luck and it ran out when he met the big boys with their big tools and site language (he had an awfully posh Etonian accent)
He might be a very nice bloke but he is woefully inadequate for site work.

Good luck for the future Joe, keep reading the forum and picking up advice.

:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

Now lets see the piccies.....Dave likes piccies and he hasnt been well :thumbsup:

Photo-0223.jpg Photo-0231.jpg Photo-0240.jpg Photo-0238.jpg Photo-0230.jpg Photo-0226.jpg Photo-0239.jpg Photo-0241.jpg Photo-0218.jpg Photo-0227.jpg Photo-0224.jpg Photo-0244.jpg

Just a few pictures to show the size of the job for now.
One shows big Shep (John Shepard) and Jock McJock from Jockland coming out of Morrisons last Sunday. We had all just had a breakfast and were getting our needed supplies for the week. The dirty tile area is a result of the shotblasters (eejits) they might have shut the doors before starting work. The picture showing my boots in on level 7 taken on the balcony. All in all the job is going good, snagging is at a minimum and most of the crap work from the other 'tilers' has been rectified.
Urban Splash are very impressed with the attitude, commitment and work standards of the tiling team, well done lads, you are all a credit to the tiling world.
See you all on Monday.

Reply to There are some real dopey 'tilers' out there. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey there Firstly thanks in advance for any replies or comments. I've got a tiler in atm who...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.