Discuss Thinking about a new start in tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

All this guff about tilers being in demand and 28k-75k was 10 years ago. Have you not herd the wheals have fallen off the wagon. There is no point training for a trade where there is not enough work for the experienced tilers let alone someone that has only done a short course. There is some site work around but you will have to be fast to get a good wage. There is also some high end work if you can work with tiles that are 1000mm by 300mm or naturel stone and you have a tool kit that you need a transit van to carry. It is not being negative to tell the truth the fact is if you decide to come in to this industry at the moment you will be competing against me and tilers like me and I will put up a fight for the work I need to survive.

S

stephen street

Dear, IveegotsTILE.
Didn't realise I had attained OLD GIT status just yet?
But I do remember the last recession (long time ago),the powers that be provided the short training courses then. Out of work for six months go on a training course and get a tenner a week extra on the giro.Back in those,very similar to now, times I was working in London on 6.50 per mtr house bashing on a large housing ***'t site.One of these competent TILERS was sent to help push the site along, he was put in what was one of the best plots on the site.The disabled house, it had a 15 mtr down stairs shower suite, on top of the normal 10/12 mtr of the basic house.He was driving half way round London to get to the site,spending two weeks to tile that house.(no brainer, you'd think as to how much he earned?) Sorry your wrong, we were on a week in hand plus retention,the site agent condemed the whole lot.I subsequently spent four days making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Not trying to put any one off going on a short course,but at least this guy got a 3/4 month course and a full tool kit for free.(we got used to seeing the brand new T40 and Bal tools.)
Steve

R

rooders

anyone wanting to become a tiler, i will always say to do an apprenticship. start at the bottom. this is crucial. working next to a good proffesional tiler for a few years will enable you to really see what its like. lug the tools around, clean the buckets, learn to handle the tools correctly.work your way up to setting out rooms,learning to deal with reveals oh god i could go on and on!! im still learning now after 12 years trading. Tiling is a very hard game to be in as is any trade. In my eyes it takes at least 3 years to learn any trade even on a basic level. If your coming from an office job or have never done any building work then i would say prob longer. dont run before you can walk thinking about earnings and starting your own buisness before you have even picked up a trowel, or spent a day on your knees hard grafting. I think the negative repys to this thread are because tilers so often do not get the respect they deserve.. This is not helped by money grabbers offering 3/ 4 week courses promising the world.

K

kirkster

Been reading this thread for a bit as a novice forum member, its really interesting, a lot of negative comments i fully understand, but people have different sets of circumstances, for me even if i chose this as a career its my second career, we, the people who are looking at going on, i dare not even utter the word "course" are doing it because of a number of reasons icluding age, situation and the desire to work not be unemployed when we are cosidering a course, I for 1 am not stupid and dont expect to become a tiler, i expect a little knowledge and a foot in the door. People talk about starting at the bottom, the trouble from my point of view,( and proberly a lot of other people posting about career changes) are simple i am a 40 year old guy leaving the infantry after 24 years, who is going to take me on pay me £££ for 3 years while i learn the trade???? i am just trying to get a little knowledge, to make me more employable to you!

You proffesional/experienced tilers must appriciate we aint always a threat to your reputations or there to undercut you, if i am honest 80-90% of people who complete the courses i bet do 1 or 2 jobs and never touch a tile again, I hope to network from this forum and dip my toe in the tiling world, if i get 2 weeks work experience from coming on this forum after my c****e them my aim is achieved.

Reply to Thinking about a new start in tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Thinking about a new start in tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.