Guest viewing is limited

Discuss thinking about becoming a tiler! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

giubs

Hi all,
I am thin king about changing career and becoming a tiler and was wanting to get some info from some people in the job.
I am currently working for a bank but don't enjoy sting behind a desk. I want to do something with my hands and have done a bit of tiling in my house and really enjoyed the work and did a no bad job with a bit of help from the good old Internet. I also like the idea of working for myself. I am going to do one of the courses available then try and skill up a bit with small jobs before I go out on my own and pack the bank in. If i could get some feedback on the following it would be appreciated,
- what kind of annual income are you guys making from inexperienced to experienced and for how much work?
- thoses of you who have gone out on your own after doing a course how long has it taken you to get up and running?
- Do you enjoy the work you do or would you swap it for a cushy desk job in the bank if you could ?
- What is the best way to skill up apart from tilling everything i own. eg going about getting work with other more experienced tilers or just doing small jobs?
Any feedback appreciated .
Greart forum, really insightful.
Chris

R

Raja

Hello Chris and welcome to the forum. I will give you my views through my own personal experiances. I would swap my job with you at the Bank without battering an eye lid.
At the bank you know exactly your weekly hours and pay are in tiling it isa case of highs and lows. People think they can walk into a trade and earn alot more money with less hassle. This is not true i have been tiling for 6 years now started at 19 and would give it all up for a nice steady job at a Bank where i wuold slap some Hugo Boss Baldersarini on and chat up the till Girls. Think long and hard tools wise to be equiped to go out and take on any domestic job u r looking at having tools which will probably cost you around £1500 in total and then van then all advertising and worst part waiting for Phone to ring. The competition is high and is a Dog eat Dog Business. It is alot of money to lose if you havnt got it to lose. My Best advice to you would be is try it part time on the weekends if you really want to make a go of it and then give up ur job at the bank. All the best mate as other more experianced Tilers from the forum come on tomorrow you will get many diverse views for you to mull over and think about. Take care :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Chris, welcome to the forums. If you have a nice well paying job at a bank, (I don't know if it is well paying but I assume it is reasonable) you need to think long and hard about moving into any self employed situation. Becoming a tiler, you will usually be self employed as there are not a huge a mount of job opportunities in the trade, let alone for some one without experience. It is a big decision and a huge leap of faith. Of primary importance is understanding is that becoming self employed you need to be, first and formost a business man, then a salesman and THEN if tiling is your chosen trade, a tiler.

Unless you have outstanding natural tiling talent and you have good speed and precision from the off, it takes time to not only learn the basics but to develop you hand skills and speed of work. Most people who contribute to this forum are on the whole, reasonably new to tiling. Most have found the transition to being self employed fulfilling and worthwhile and have had resources to be able to mak a go of it. Some haven't and have fallen by the wayside.

By all means consider the move to becoming a tiler. If you do so, this forum is a great place to learn, to get encouragement and advice and we will help as much as we can. Don't make the mistake that your type of career change is an easy one though, it isn't. Good luck, keep us informed.:thumbsup:

Grumpy

Reply to thinking about becoming a tiler! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, My names Fraser I have been in the motor trade for 17 years, after falling out...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
thinking about becoming a tiler!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.