UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Thompsons water seal on slate? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
there is no doubt a very good reason for the difference in price,one is for brick work and one is for high quality tile materials to be sealed with,i have necer used thompsons as a sealer for tiles and i never will.

35m square of slate must have been expensive mike and using this brick sealer to save 30 quid and the chance it may have of ruining your job doesnt add up mate.

think how upset you will be if it goes wrong

N

Nigel Witham

I think the use of Thompson's Water Seal (TSW) is worth considering. Here's why.

The active ingredient in mouthwash is sodium fluoride. My densist tells me it needs to be at a concentration of .05 %. I can buy own brand mouthwash that meets this specification for 49p in Tesco or pay ten times as much for a branded product. The only difference in composition is in non-active ingedients that change the smell or sensation. I prefer not to pay for these since the add neither function nor enjoyment.

Likewise, I can buy tile cleaner from any tile store for around £10 per 500ml squirty bottle. This will be either a weak solution of phosphoric or hydrochloric acid. Both industrial chemicals produced in huge volumes and not scarce. I can also buy brick or patio cleaner for around £5 for 5L in any builders merchants. This is also a weak solution of hydrocholric acid so of course it removes cement and grout from tiles effectively. In Travis Perkins I can buy water-based masonry stabilising solution (which turns out to be a weak solution of common or garden PVA) for around £20 for 5L. I could make the same for a fraction of the cost by stirring a small bottle of woodworking glue into a bucket of warm water.

So what about slate impregnators? Well they are all silicon based compounds in a solvent. In some the solvent is water and in others it is a spirit base but in all the active ingredients are the silicon waxes that close pores and seal the substrate. That's what Thompson's Water Seal does too. I downloaded the spec sheet from Thompson's website and it confirms that it may be used on slate. I tried it on a sample slate yesterday, two coats then I wiped of the excess with a cloth. Left outside in the rain overnight it looks fine and is repelling water. I'll try it with other contaminents too. I will be surprised if it doesn't work becuase there have always been snake oil salesmen and always will be.

Reply to Thompsons water seal on slate? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Thompsons water seal on slate?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.