UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Thoughts on quality? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

scoobeesnac

Dear all,

I'm looking to buy travertine for a kitchen/dining room floor. I have found two retailers, one offers 'grade 1' and the other does not grade - both similar prices ~43m2 inc VAT.

Would anyone have any comment on the attached images - I read black veins and frequent pitting maybe a bad sign and I don't want to pay top-whack for poor quality obviously?

Thanks in advance,
Matt nograde.jpg graded.jpg

M

Mike Mike

Travertine Wall & Floor Tiles | Travertine Store

Shop around?

Travertine is not really a practical stone in a kitchen. Even if sealed, it can stain, it is soft and can show the dirt and grime pretty quickly.

On the plus side, it is warmer than granite, and looks nice. Whether I'd spend £40/m2 though is another matter...

As for which stone in your two photos looks best, the one on the left, but does it matter? The stone you will receive is unique and may be similar, or nothing like the stone in either of those photos...

T

Topshop

I agree with Swedish Mike that the ones you actually recieve may look nothing like the ones in the sample. The sample may be several years old and def not from the same batch as the ones in the warehouse. The stone varies in color and density as they get through the quarries. Judge the tiles they have in the boxes in stock and find the ones with less holes in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Thoughts on quality? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
This is especially for "customers" -anyone who wants to buy or choose their own tiles (whether...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
H
Hi recently joined the forum, am in the process of being made redundant and am planning to...
Replies
Views
AMtek
A
H
Hi I'm praying that someone will be able to offer some advice for us. We basically had 26...
Replies
Views
diamondtiling
D
H
Hi I'm praying that someone will be able to offer some advice for us. We basically had 26...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.