Currently reading:
Through the Looking Glass 1920s bathroom

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss Through the Looking Glass 1920s bathroom in the Tiling Work Showcase Forum area at TilersForums.com.

This was such a fun yet stressful project. I had to reglaze most of the black trim tile due to the fact that they weren't finished on all sides.

Attachments

• 20230630_034921.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230630_034926.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230302_140830.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230630_035107.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220510_160426981.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230630_034915.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221218_232842.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230630_034906.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220510_160406620.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230630_034947.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220516_181635660.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 11
Thank you so much. The arch was a nightmare. I didn't want to cut any of the tiles and figuring out all the segments to be just right. My husband wanted to kill me. I must have templated it 10 different times.
I did some arches back in the days myself they are a pain in the back but had to be done. Looks like you have a wetroom over there. How did you waterproof it?

I did some arches back in the days myself they are a pain in the back but had to be done. Looks like you have a wetroom over there. How did you waterproof it?
Schluter. Everything was schluter except where the wallpaper was installed. The kicker of the project. My client during the process of this job ended up getting engaged and listed the house the day we unveiled the finished project.

Schluter. Everything was schluter except where the wallpaper was installed. The kicker of the project. My client during the process of this job ended up getting engaged and listed the house the day we unveiled the finished project.
You did the work yourself that saved you lots of money. Amazing!

Schluter is a good waterproofing method.

You did the work yourself that saved you lots of money. Amazing!

Schluter is a good waterproofing method.
My husband and I do remodeling and renovations for a living. When I did the original estimate for the job and asked the client what she wanted, I was just happy it wasn't grey tile or black and white. She wanted color and luxury.

My husband and I do remodeling and renovations for a living. When I did the original estimate for the job and asked the client what she wanted, I was just happy it wasn't grey tile or black and white. She wanted color and luxury.
How long start to finish did the bathroom with the arched shower area take to complete ? Looks high class from setting out to finish , not even looking at tile colours the workmanship looks very good

How long start to finish did the bathroom with the arched shower area take to complete ? Looks high class from setting out to finish , not even looking at tile colours the workmanship looks very good
Thank you, it was my first design piece. I had no idea at the time what toile even was. She wanted a certain shade of red which was so hard to find in a wallpaper. I stumbled across this Alice in wonderland wallpaper and she loved it. So everything was based off the wallpaper. Every piece of plumbing is brass. Supply lines and all. In my research for 1920s black trim tile with the 4x4 was the thing. So I matched the 4x4 to wallpaper. There is a total of 7 different kinds of tile. When we demoed the room, we came across all the knob and tube junctions in the bathroom subfloor. We needed to recess the subfloor for the zero entry shower. Unfortunately it took us 5 months to get an electrician in there to rewire the whole upstairs. We had a lot of plaster repairs to make after that. I have now come to appreciate the trades of plaster. That is an art in itself. Once the rewire was done we were able to make progress and keep going. We had to replace some floor joists. We made our own brackets to recess the floor. Then came the ceiling. I must have drawn that up a thousand times. I wanted to make sure every segment was a full piece of tile and the grout lines were just right. We built the joists to support the plywood that we spotted behind and took ratchet straps and would wet it and bend it accordingly. The shower drain is an invisible drain as they call it. It's a trough with a screen on top. You tile right to the edge of the screen and left with a 1/2" opening along the back wall where the water runs to. I calculated all framing around the tile. I didn't want any sliver cuts anywhere. The black trim tile was a nightmare. Of course there were last minute design changes and I needed more. I ended up finding it on Facebook marketplace and had the lady ship it to me. We installed a pocket door to make the room look bigger and I feared the door shattering the glass panel in shower. What was supposed to be just a bathroom remodel turned into a house rewire, plaster repairs, framing repairs, we ended up replumbing the whole house, it took 9 months. 5 of those we had to wait for an electrician which was miserable. Everyone was slammed with work and no one likes knob and tube work.

Reply to Through the Looking Glass 1920s bathroom in the Tiling Work Showcase Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Tilers Community
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF on Facebook

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.