Discuss Tile bathroom with Travertine in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peterc2609

Hi all,

Bought a load of travertine to tile my bathroom Walls and floor.

I've taken all Of the old cheap ceramic tiles of the wall and underneath is the tile adhesive on plasterboard.

In some areas the plasterboard has come away exposing the brick.

If I was to just get a mate to skim the Walls to make them straight and smooth would it be ok for the tiler to tile the travertine straight onto, or would I need to ply the wall or something?

I

IGTiling

No, it's no good. Plaster will only take a maximum load of 20kg/m², plasterboard comes in at 32kg/m² and tile backer board at 60kg/m². Tiling the walls with Travertine will come in with a total weight of approx 31kg/m². I would cut out the affected plasterboard to a nice square shape and either: stick in a new square of plasterboard using dri-wall adhesive, or get a sheet of tile backerboard cut it to size and stick that into place with said dri-wall adhesive.

P

Peterc2609

Ok, bathroom half gutted.

Glad really as the boards were coming off in my hand!

Can I attach backer boards straight onto brick? Do I just screw in with Rawl plugs?

Can I buy backer boards in b&q or somewhere similar? Do they come in different thicknesses?

I'm trying to keep price down so don't want to pay someone for something I can do, I.e. Prep the Walls.

Peter

P

Peterc2609

I haven't yet no, I wanted to get it all ready myself and get it sorted in a big bang!

I don't want that big bang to be all my travertine in the bath in a few weeks though when it falls off!

So I think I will stick with the backer boards... Just need to make sure the boards go on straight though, or can the tiles be straightened with adhesive when they are put on... The bricks are not exactly tidy.... It's an old house.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi peter,if the walls are badly off the tiler with end up using more adhesive....

adhesive is expensive

dot and dab the walls is my option as its a cheaper installation for you and the walls can be striaghtened by doing this method

you cant dot and dab backer boards on im afraid

so imo paying a plasterer or a tiler who are competent in this will actually save you money

its really only a days work to dot and dab a room

or you could of course set a new thread on how to dot and dab a room and im sure you will get lots of good advice on here if you are to do it yourself

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile bathroom with Travertine in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB